Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to improve my guitar ability? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've pretty much learnt as much as I can of Elliott Smith's music on my guitar.

I've been trying to learn songs by Silversun Pickups.

My question is, how can I improve my guitar ability?

ReputationRep:
    Finding new songs to play is the main one but trying to create some tunes is also quite good fun (very hard to start with unless you're very creatively minded).

What style of guitar do you play?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    Finding new songs to play is the main one but trying to create some tunes is also quite good fun (very hard to start with unless you're very creatively minded).

What style of guitar do you play?
    im as creatively minded as Sid in ICE AGE

however Im rather could at improvising songs on the spot..(should really work on that)

I just lack skills with guitar

any advice on that:?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    im as creatively minded as Sid in ICE AGE

however Im rather could at improvising songs on the spot..(should really work on that)

I just lack skills with guitar

any advice on that:?
    Improvisation is a great skill, I reckon you should focus on developing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    Improvisation is a great skill, I reckon you should focus on developing that.
    love the username btw...ice age reference!:P

yeh if I had the skills and I know thats a big if I reckon I could fairly easily right songs

I often walk into the kitchen with my own creations:P

hbu kid:?

ReputationRep:
    Practice every single day. If you want to improve on something all you have to do is put in the hours. Just abstain from picking up bad habits early on (such as not using your pinky etc) as they will stick with you forever. That is the best piece of advice I can give, and I speak from experience so don't do a me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm also trying to brush up on my guitar skills! everytime I follow a sheet what i'm playing sounds nothing like the song ;(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    love the username btw...ice age reference!:P

yeh if I had the skills and I know thats a big if I reckon I could fairly easily right songs

I often walk into the kitchen with my own creations:P

hbu kid:?
    I'm **** at creating things. That part of my brain has been dying for quite some time.

ReputationRep:
    get rocksmith. That game improved my ability so much and there's a silversun pickups song on it
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    are there any local guitar / music clubs near you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.