The Student Room Group

HYde Park 7/7 bombings memorial vandalised with pro muslim messages on Anniversary

Scroll to see replies

Original post by getfunky!
Of course, because the invasion into Afghanistan had taken place almost two years prior to the Iraq war.

Never mind how countless extremists always cite foreign policy as a motivator for their actions.

They also cite Islam as well.
Original post by Michael!
It's no different to when this happened on Remembrance Day. A group of Muslims decided to protest at 11am in London by burning poppy wreaths and shouting "British soldiers - murderers, British soldiers - rapists, British soldiers - terrorists" and "Burn, burn, British soldiers, British soldiers, burn in hell".

The most disgusting thing is that they choose to live in this country. They take advantage of the system, receive benefits from the state and have protection from the soldiers they insult. If they don't like it, why are they here?

It's the minority that ruins in for the majority though, some of the kindest and most genuine people I know are Muslim.

You know I bet there'd be public outrage if quran's were burnt like that. Stupid hypocritical groups of extremist muslims need to shut the **** up and grow up (as do any group of extremists)
Reply 42
Original post by Joshale
Only one solution, deport them.

Even if they're British?

Worth remembering who the last person to deface a London war memorial was...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25141003
Reply 43
Original post by Reece Sure
Could you provide links to these videos? Because at the present time you appear to be employing anecdotal evidence to support a hypothesis.

Professor Robert Pape of the University of Chicago would very well disagree with you. One of America's leading minds in international security and he is known for his work on international security affairs, especially the coercive strategies of air power and the rationale of suicide terrorism. Based on an analysis of every known case of suicide terrorism from 1980 to 2003 (315 attacks as part of 18 campaigns), he concludes that there is "little connection between suicide terrorism and Islamic fundamentalism, or any one of the world’s religions... . Rather, what nearly all suicide terrorist attacks have in common is a specific secular and strategic goal: to compel modern democracies to withdraw military forces from territory that the terrorists consider to be their homeland"

Its Wikipedia but the page is well referenced so I suggest looking at those if you are still doubtful.

This appears to be getting beyond my original argument that had we not been in Iraq this attack would sitll have taken place due to our presence in Afghanistan

Original post by James222
Afghanistan was different and most people saw the initial invasion as self defence
Hard to convince people america is at war with islam when america has lost 3,000 citizens

Suicide bombers are hardly rationale people though are they? The majority of humanity saw Afghanistan as self defense but all the same the 7/7 bombers and their supporters mentioned they were avenging Muslims in Afghanistan as well as Iraq.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aj12
Its Wikipedia but the page is well referenced so I suggest looking at those if you are still doubtful.

This appears to be getting beyond my original argument that had we not been in Iraq this attack would sitll have taken place due to our presence in Afghanistan

Suicide bombers are hardly rationale people though are they? The majority of humanity saw Afghanistan as self defense but all the same the 7/7 bombers and their supporters mentioned they were avenging Muslims in Afghanistan as well as Iraq.

Well Suicide Bombers unless they are illiterates unable to read brainwashed by mullahs(happens I know) are pretty conscious particularly when it comes to western muslims . Terrorist dont hate us because of our freedoms and to pretend so is naive and not focussing on the problem. The US has spent billions on tackling anti americanism throughout the world because a clear link exists . People dont wake up one day and decide to become bombers .

yes Afghanistan and Iraq, that means Iraq included and iraq was a more divisive issue
After the killing of Lee Rigby, many Mosques and Muslim community centres were defaced and vandalised by much more extreme messages - and that's not even starting to consider the many death threats Muslim community figures got. Of course, nobody got into a fuss about that. Because it's absolutely fine when the hatred is against Muslims but the moment a Muslim does something wrong, the entire country goes mental.

What was done here was awful, I'm not trying to condone what happened. But stop trying to blame it on the Muslim community or act as if this is a Muslim thing. It's not.
Reply 46
Original post by Chlorophile
After the killing of Lee Rigby, many Mosques and Muslim community centres were defaced and vandalised by much more extreme messages - and that's not even starting to consider the many death threats Muslim community figures got. Of course, nobody got into a fuss about that. Because it's absolutely fine when the hatred is against Muslims but the moment a Muslim does something wrong, the entire country goes mental.

What was done here was awful, I'm not trying to condone what happened. But stop trying to blame it on the Muslim community or act as if this is a Muslim thing. It's not.

LOL
Reply 47
Original post by YMLT
Even if they're British?

I think a better solution would be to send these sorts of Islamists to a deserted Island that surrounds Scotland (eg St Kilda).
That way they can have their Islamic state within the UK, and they'll either drown or get hypothermia if they try to escape.

Too bad that would be against their 'human rights'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by No Man
I think a better solution would be to send these sorts of Islamists to a deserted Island that surrounds Scotland (eg St Kilda).
That way they can have their Islamic state within the UK, and they'll either drown or get hypothermia if they try to escape.

History just keeps repeating... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madagascar_Plan
Reply 49
Original post by Mankytoes
History just keeps repeating... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madagascar_Plan

Another Nazi cliche claim. Yawn.

There's are big differences between innocent Jews and Islamists (and by 'Islamists' I don't mean all Muslims).
I think the origins of Australia or the USA would be a better comparison.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by No Man
Another Nazi cliche claim. Yawn.

There's are big differences between innocent Jews and Islamists (and by 'Islamists' I don't mean all Muslims).
I think the origins of Australia or the USA would be a better comparison.

I just like pointing out the parrelels. There are so many- "they don't integrate properly"- "they put their religious identity before their national identity"- "they are parasites on our society"- "they don't all speak our language"... am I talking about Muslims in Britain today, or Jews in Germany in 1930?

I assumed you were being facetious, any island plan obviously wouldn't work today, ISIS would just send a plane, and have a brilliant propaganda story, and a few new recruits with genuine reasons to hate the west. It is worrying how many people have this sort of logic though. Even in The Times, there were several letters the other day saying we should ban the burka, because if we go to the Middle East, our women have to cover their hair. Yeah, and if they kill gays, we should kill straights! The only way to fight bigotry, is with more bigotry! They disregard the civil rights of our people, we'll disregard the civil rights of our people!
Reply 51
I just like pointing out the parrelels. There are so many- "they don't integrate properly"- "they put their religious identity before their national identity"- "they are parasites on our society"- "they don't all speak our language"... am I talking about Muslims in Britain today, or Jews in Germany in 1930?

I assumed you were being facetious, any island plan obviously wouldn't work today, ISIS would just send a plane, and have a brilliant propaganda story, and a few new recruits with genuine reasons to hate the west. It is worrying how many people have this sort of logic though. Even in The Times, there were several letters the other day saying we should ban the burka, because if we go to the Middle East, our women have to cover their hair. Yeah, and if they kill gays, we should kill straights! The only way to fight bigotry, is with more bigotry! They disregard the civil rights of our people, we'll disregard the civil rights of our people!

I was being idealistic and slightly facetious, but I was annoyed with the response because it seemed like one typical of the PC Brigade.

I just strongly believe that establishment should not put its head in the sand/ignore the growing issue of Islamism in the UK, otherwise it will continue to spread.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by No Man

so what if they're not muslims?
Original post by No Man
I was being idealistic and slightly facetious, but I was annoyed with the response because it seemed like one typical of the PC Brigade.

I just strongly believe that establishment should not put its head in the sand/ignore the growing issue of Islamism in the UK, otherwise it will continue to spread.

That's what you call idealism!? I like how you accuse me of cliche, and then use the phrase "PC Brigade"...

But your proposed solution would increase Islamism. A lot of the right wing "solutions" would be music to the ears of Al Queda. If you know your history, oppressing religious minorities tends to cause more extremism and violence, not less.
Original post by getfunky!
The same that could be said for those civilians who were slaughtered, raped, and pillaged in Iraq and Afghanistan - they had absolutely nothing to do with it.

So you're saying the unfortunate death of civilians killed in crossfire in Iraq justifies the deliberate targeting and murder of civilians in London?
Tis a sad day when people don't even have respect for a memorial such as this.
Reply 56
That's what you call idealism!? I like how you accuse me of cliche, and then use the phrase "PC Brigade"...

But your proposed solution would increase Islamism. A lot of the right wing "solutions" would be music to the ears of Al Queda. If you know your history, oppressing religious minorities tends to cause more extremism and violence, not less.

It had a positive outcome in the USSR and former Yugoslavia, since Bosnia, Albania, Kazakstan, etc are now some of the most moderate Islamic nations in the Islamic world.

But it might not be the case in the Modern world, which is why I call it idealism.
Reply 57
Original post by Chlorophile

I agree, it could be a Muslim memorial or something equally important to the Muslim community and many, especially on here wouldn't bat an eyelid, and as ever, people have used this crime (which of course as already pointed out hasn't even confirmed to have been a Muslim who vandalised it, there's the possibility, albeit small possibility, that it could be a lunatic trying to stir up further hatred) as fuel for hatred. The crime is disgusting and incredibly disrespectful, but it is those who committed the crime who should be receiving hatred, not the wider Muslim community who had nothing to do with this and I'm sure most would condemn the action.
Reply 58

Exactly, someone on here made the suggestion of banning Islam in the UK, can you imagine the response from ISIS and other extremists if we did that, we'd probably have war on our hands and all the terrorists would set their sights in the UK:rolleyes:
Reply 59
Original post by Olie
Exactly, someone on here made the suggestion of banning Islam in the UK, can you imagine the response from ISIS and other extremists if we did that, we'd probably have war on our hands and all the terrorists would set their sights in the UK:rolleyes:

Except I never said anything about banning Islam in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending