Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Friends, I'm REALLY worried about the career prospects after I study MSc in Architectural Engineering: Environment Design, and a detailed answer from you might prove LIFE-CHANGING for me. I am a University of Bath offer holder for the MSc course and, if all goes well, I'd be one of the new faces pouring in to the University this September. The thing is, some of my relatives and teachers have been very discouraging about going to the UK to study further, and that I'd only be "wasting my parents' money" as "there are no jobs in the UK" and "you don't get a work VISA" etc.
    I already have a job offer from a reputed company in my hand here in India, which I am willing to give up in favour of Bath. But I fear if I don't get a job afterwards, I'd be done for.
    Please tell me is it really that hard to get a job?
    And once I get a job, what is he VISA process after that?

Thanks a lot in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hi There!
    I too, am an international student, who will be commencing Under Graduate studies at Bath this September.
    As far as I know, the best option would be to do a placement year during your course. If you haven't already applied for a course which includes placement, then you can just send an email to admissions and they'll be happy to make the change

However, enrolling for the placement year itself, isn't enough. You need to be attractive enough (academically of course! :P ) for placement employers to take you. They are less likely to take International Students due to work permit requirements after graduation, and due to their tendency to question our English Skills :/

However, you can increase your chances of getting placement by doing well in your studies, and also having prior work experience in a related or at least somewhat related field, which you appear to have already
    Make sure you obtain a letter from your employer, and if possible, ask them to include a comment about your English capabilities

Once you get a placement, your career prospects after graduation is much much better. I've been told that if you do placement in a recognised company, they generally like to hire you again after graduation. If they want to hire you, they will use whatever power/influence they have to help you obtain your Work Visa. The person deciding to hire you will tell their HR department that they want you. HR will then jump any hoops to try and secure that job for you, and I heard they usually do.

By the way, the placement year can be done with just your Student Visa. It is considered part of your course and doesn't require an additional Visa.

I also want to point out that all that I've stated above is based on what I've learned from people in the UK as well as a face-to-face conversation with one of the Professors from the University of Bath. I don't, however, have any experience to recall from as I don't know anyone there yet (I'm not an Aumni, and not even a student there yet! :P ).
    I saw your post, and as no one had answered yet, I thought I'd share what I've learned from my research in hoped that it helps you to some extent

Hope there was something useful above!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UVLight)
    Hi There!
    I too, am an international student, who will be commencing Under Graduate studies at Bath this September.
    Hey glad to talk to you. Which country are you from, if may so ask?

As far as I know, the best option would be to do a placement year during your course. If you haven't already applied for a course which includes placement, then you can just send an email to admissions and they'll be happy to make the change
    I'd love to do anything that improves my career prospects, the thing is, I'll be there for a Postgraduate Degree course, and I am not sure whether they have a placement year or something like that for postgraduates. :/

However, you can increase your chances of getting placement by doing well in your studies, and also having prior work experience in a related or at least somewhat related field, which you appear to have already
    Make sure you obtain a letter from your employer, and if possible, ask them to include a comment about your English capabilities
    Unfortunately, I don't have any experience at all. The company I was talking about has recruited me from my university itself and my employment there doesn't begin before November, so I don't have any work experience either.

Once you get a placement, your career prospects after graduation is much much better. I've been told that if you do placement in a recognised company, they generally like to hire you again after graduation. If they want to hire you, they will use whatever power/influence they have to help you obtain your Work Visa. The person deciding to hire you will tell their HR department that they want you. HR will then jump any hoops to try and secure that job for you, and I heard they usually do.

By the way, the placement year can be done with just your Student Visa. It is considered part of your course and doesn't require an additional Visa.
    That is the best thing I've heard in ages! However, I doubt if there would be a placement year for my course.

I also want to point out that all that I've stated above is based on what I've learned from people in the UK as well as a face-to-face conversation with one of the Professors from the University of Bath. I don't, however, have any experience to recall from as I don't know anyone there yet (I'm not an Alumni, and not even a student there yet! :P ).
    I saw your post, and as no one had answered yet, I thought I'd share what I've learned from my research in hoped that it helps you to some extent

Hope there was something useful above!
    Thanks a lot for being helpful. I really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for being helpful. I really appreciate it!
    No Problem! Glad to help!

I'm Sri Lankan, but I am currently living in (and applied from) Southern Africa.
    I faced a similar dilemma as yours when applying. Whether it's worth it.

I'm sorry, I didn't realise that you had already completed your degree when I first read your message.
    While I have read and researched quite a bit on Undergraduate entry, I haven't done any research on postgraduate entry, so my suggestions below might turn out to be misleading. If so, I'm truly sorry!

While there is placement for undergraduate, I didn't see so stated in the web page for post graduate courses in your degree :/
    I did see placement for Management related studies however.
    My suggestion: Talk to the admissions department, or a member of faculty. Ask them about placement, and also about career prospects. During my time talking with Bath faculty members, I found them to be quite transparent with information. For example, it's them who recommended me to take a placement course, but they also told me that it is noticeably harder for international students to secure a placement with a success rate of around 50~60%, but that with work experience and hard work, one can significantly better their chances.
    Ask them about jobs which other post graduate applicant managed to secure. The hurdles they had to cross and what their general success rate is. Ask them about summer job opportunities. If there are any and if they improve your likelihood of finding employment.

Also, I would suggest comparing what graduates with and without masters earn in India. If you earn significantly more with a masters (enough to cover the cost of Uni over time), then I'd say it's worth it going to the UK and pursuing your degree. If you end up unable to find a job, you can always go back to India to find work

As for experience, I do have one suggestion: Defer entry until next year.
    Take your job offer, and work for a year or so. Then pursue your masters next year. This way, when you graduate, you will have both a Masters as well as invaluable experience working as a professional for a year. If that's not enough to get a job in the UK, then you can still probably get a better job in India.

I hope the information above proves useful. Again, I'm sorry if any of it is incorrect, like I said, I haven't truly researched Masters entry details!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.