Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am going in to my first year at Birmingham City University (BCU) to study Media and Communications, though I'm stuck between moving out and staying at home as I only live in Rugby. I want the whole Uni experience but is it worth it? Does anyone know how many days you are in, in your first year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrizzlybear)
    I am going in to my first year at Birmingham City University (BCU) to study Media and Communications, though I'm stuck between moving out and staying at home as I only live in Rugby. I want the whole Uni experience but is it worth it? Does anyone know how many days you are in, in your first year?
    I can't speak for the media/comms course, but i'm starting in September to on the Vis Comm - Illustration course. From my interview day they said that there would be 2 required days when you have to be in, but they'd expect you to be doing work on the other days self directed. I'm sure that you can still have a great university experience living in Rugby, but to me in order to get the full experience you should spend a fair bit of time in the city you go to university in. Join activities, societies/sports clubs etc. I just finished at DMU for my foundation and it was great!

ReputationRep:
    You will probably be looking at around 8-10 hours a week. The amount of days you are in could be 1-4 but it will most likely be 2-3 days a week.

As for the full university experience then you will only achieve that by living in the city and with fellow students imo. I love living independently and being able to arrange things short of notice due to living so close to all of my university friends/hanging out at each others places etc. I'm from Birmingham about 30 minutes away from the university but could never imagine living back home having lived in halls for the past two years.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, i appreciate your advice, would you say it is more worth moving in your second year, i have a lot of friends that tend to come back home a lot!

ReputationRep:
    I personally felt it was best living in halls from first year as I met most of my friends through halls and became better friends with people on my course due to the fact we all lived near each other. Aswell as the social benefits it willl also be helpful with your studies for both exams and assignment work. Whenever deadlines approach we go to the library to work and most of the time throughout the night, we do this like 2-3 weeks prior to deadlines. Something that will be difficult to do living at home.

It may take a bit of time to settle in and get use to the new surroundings but its worth it. And of course there's nothing stopping you going back home whenever you like.

ReputationRep:
    Hi as a current 3rd year student and level up mentor for the media and communications course I would personally recommend living in halls/house with other students TS for first year as it really helps with the social integration and will be beneficial to your studies. Any other questions just ask

Also find us on twitter at @luvbcumedia2014

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.