Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has the hunt for pedophiles become a national sport? Watch

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    In 2001, Chris Morris brought 'Paedogeddon' to the UK in a special episode of Brass Eye, which imagined a Britain in which the role of the media had become so prominent that a hunt for pedophiles had become a national sport.

This has almost become a reality. We have become a nation in hysteria.

At the moment, as a society, many victims are coming out of the woodwork. This can be seen as good and bad. While it's really important to know this happened, I worry about the irrational fear it feeds into the psyche of British society.

From the point of view of the media, I wouldn't go as far as saying there's a 'witch-hunt' as some do, but I believe uncovering pedophiles has become a strange form of cultural entertainment, and I think that's where the comparison with the 'witch-hunt' ends.

I believe the nature of the punishment for historic sex offences should be thought about and maybe reconsidered.

I don't believe an 84 year old man should've actually been imprisoned for the rest of his life and believe it's arguably a burden on the taxpayer. His last offence was in the 1980s and there's no evidence he's a threat to society now. How does it comfort his victims? Being on the sex offenders' list and having his assets stripped, to the sum which takes account of his earnings between his first and last offence, is a just punishment from my point of view.

His assets could've been given to charities such as the NSPCC which can focus its efforts on ensuring as much support is out there for people who think they are victims of child abuse today, so they are encouraged to report incidents straight away and the forensic evidence can prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.