Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ford focus vs VW Golf (2005-2007) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys just wanted to find out your opinions mainly on the ford focuses seen a few decent ones for just under £2.5k for a 2006-2007 which is a good price for a first car

I know the vw golf is a fantastic car, reliable but a grand more than the focus which I don't mind waiting to save more money but just wondering on your thoughs on the focus reviews on auto trader and seen quite a few complaints

Finally what golfs do your recommend preferably 1.4-1.6 2005-2007

ReputationRep:
    In terms of value for money it is most likely the case that for the same money you can buy a better Ford Focus than you could a VW Golf.

Are they a better car? The Ford has a better chassis and driving dynamics of it is way better than the Golf.

Build quality wise, that era of VWs weren't exactly the benchmark for cars that were well built where the Fords improved a lot.

You will be looking at a 7 year old car, there are bound to be some bits to fix many things on a VW can be quite expensive and many do seem to develop electrical issues. Ford parts aren't expensive and generally don't give that much issues for as long as you are buying a good one. One thing for certain, it is less likely you would find a Focus that had been tampered with as the difference in price between a good condition one with low mileage doesn't differ by a significant enough margin to make it worthwhile to do so where there certainly is an incentive to do so with a VW Golf as low mileage ones do command a premium.

If you have to get a Golf then I'd probably get a 1.6l version as long as it isn't the FSI variant.

ReputationRep:
    A good friend of mine has a 1.9tdi Golf (2004, I believe) and he has nothing but great things to say about it. He has had it for 1 year (125K mileage) and has spent £40 in total on the vehicle. Very good on fuel, reliable and very easy to drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    In terms of value for money it is most likely the case that for the same money you can buy a better Ford Focus than you could a VW Golf.

Are they a better car? The Ford has a better chassis and driving dynamics of it is way better than the Golf.

Build quality wise, that era of VWs weren't exactly the benchmark for cars that were well built where the Fords improved a lot.

You will be looking at a 7 year old car, there are bound to be some bits to fix many things on a VW can be quite expensive and many do seem to develop electrical issues. Ford parts aren't expensive and generally don't give that much issues for as long as you are buying a good one. One thing for certain, it is less likely you would find a Focus that had been tampered with as the difference in price between a good condition one with low mileage doesn't differ by a significant enough margin to make it worthwhile to do so where there certainly is an incentive to do so with a VW Golf as low mileage ones do command a premium.

If you have to get a Golf then I'd probably get a 1.6l version as long as it isn't the FSI variant.
    Nice one thanks I think I'll go for the focus , if I find a good one maintenance costs will be lower than the golf. What about fuel consumption on the fords for example a 1.6 petrol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgeeza)
    A good friend of mine has a 1.9tdi Golf (2004, I believe) and he has nothing but great things to say about it. He has had it for 1 year (125K mileage) and has spent £40 in total on the vehicle. Very good on fuel, reliable and very easy to drive.
    That's really good, was it bought on autotrader?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hkorantneg)
    That's really good, was it bought on autotrader?
    Gumtree

ReputationRep:
    Nice one thanks I think I'll go for the focus , if I find a good one maintenance costs will be lower than the golf. What about fuel consumption on the fords for example a 1.6 petrol?
    30-40mpg thereabouts.

Personally would buy a 1.6TDCI.

ReputationRep:
    30-40mpg thereabouts.

Personally would buy a 1.6TDCI.
    Thanks, what car do you drive if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    I believe he drives a Tesla Model S. Incredibly impressive piece of engineering judging from reviews. Economy is the equivalent to ~90mpg (Petrol). Also has plenty of storage due to the added bonus of a 'frunk'!

ReputationRep:
    Have you decided what car to get or viewed any yet? How has it been for you?

I drive a Tesla Model S in Norway and when I'm in England I have my trusty Land Rover Discovery though the latter is now on an unspoken "hand me down"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by live_a_life)
    I believe he drives a Tesla Model S. Incredibly impressive piece of engineering judging from reviews. Economy is the equivalent to ~90mpg (Petrol). Also has plenty of storage due to the added bonus of a 'frunk'!
    Heh actually for me up until recently it had been free to drive it as I lived in a flat within the city limits with plenty of free charging points.

Now moved to a house at the city edge and looking at my electric consumption each time I charge it up at home it is closer to 60mpg rather than 90mpg. I'm not complaining, still saves me a bundle to have this car.

ReputationRep:
    Heh actually for me up until recently it had been free to drive it as I lived in a flat within the city limits with plenty of free charging points.

Now moved to a house at the city edge and looking at my electric consumption each time I charge it up at home it is closer to 60mpg rather than 90mpg. I'm not complaining, still saves me a bundle to have this car.
    Yeah and 60mpg out of something so insanely powerful and smooth is still bloody fantastic. In a few years time, that's what I'm hoping to drive. Although, I hope they increase the range in future models.

Until then, 50+ mpg out of a BMW 320d (150bhp) will have to do! with a range of about 600-700 miles per tank, it keeps me happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.