Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are these Univesities realistic with my atrocious GCSE grades? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am an A level Student and am worried about applying to Uni later this year because of my appalling GCSE results. Honestly, all my friends got like all A*/A/B, and itreally puts me down. Here I what I achieved at GCSE:

Maths D (resat in AS year and got a B)
    English Language B
    English Literature B
    Business Studies A
    Geography C
    ICT C
    German B
    Biology C
    Physics C
    Chemistry B

ECDL Pass (Equivalent to a GCSE Grade B)

What I think will get for my AS Levels:

English Lit A
    History A
    Geography A ( got a C at GCSE)

I also do volunteering once a week and have a part time job. Below are two separate lists of UNI's I want to apply to to study ENGLISH LITERATURE :

UNREALISTIC
    KCL
    MANCHESTER
    LIVERPOOL
    YORK
    UEA

Would my GCSES le me down ?

REALISTIC - These are where my friends and some teaching staff have said will accept me due to my GCSES:

Manchester Met
    Sheffield Hallum
    Leeds Met
    Salford University
    Queen Marys

As you can see, they are all pretty rubbish Universities. Does anyone know whether my GCSES truly will hold me back from my Realistic choices. I know most of them are RG unis, and my GCSES are diabolical, but how much do Uni's look at them. Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by fungirl16)
    Hi, I am an A level Student and am worried about applying to Uni later this year because of my appalling GCSE results. Honestly, all my friends got like all A*/A/B, and itreally puts me down. Here I what I achieved at GCSE:

Maths D (resat in AS year and got a B)
    English Language B
    English Literature B
    Business Studies A
    Geography C
    ICT C
    German B
    Biology C
    Physics C
    Chemistry B

ECDL Pass (Equivalent to a GCSE Grade B)

What I think will get for my AS Levels:

English Lit A
    History A
    Geography A ( got a C at GCSE)

I also do volunteering once a week and have a part time job. Below are two separate lists of UNI's I want to apply to to study ENGLISH LITERATURE :

UNREALISTIC
    KCL
    MANCHESTER
    LIVERPOOL
    YORK
    UEA

Would my GCSES le me down ?

REALISTIC - These are where my friends and some teaching staff have said will accept me due to my GCSES:

Manchester Met
    Sheffield Hallum
    Leeds Met
    Salford University
    Queen Marys

As you can see, they are all pretty rubbish Universities. Does anyone know whether my GCSES truly will hold me back from my Realistic choices. I know most of them are RG unis, and my GCSES are diabolical, but how much do Uni's look at them. Thanks.
    Your friends and some teachers are being silly my friend has pretty much identical GCSEs to you and he got offers from Manchester, York, Sheffield and Exeter you don't need amazing GCSEs to get into good universities, they care a lot more about AS grades and predicted A2 grades! If you do achieve those As, you will be in a great position (I got an E at AS and still got offers from good universities!)

And your GCSE grades aren't even bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can still get into top universities with those grades lol. I also don't think they'll look at all of your GCSE grades, just the ones for the subject you plan on studying. So for English literature, they'll probably require a B in both English language AND literature

-Queen Mary is not a rubbish university

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You will be fine. I didn't get a single grade above C at GCSE and failed my maths sooooo many times before eventually getting another measly C to add to my collection of C grades but I got offers to study physics from RG unis.

ReputationRep:
    If you get them As results, I'm positive you can get in most of the top uni's; except Cambridge and oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mo98)
    If you get them As results, I'm positive you can get in most of the top uni's; except Cambridge and oxford.
    They can still go for oxbridge as long as they get them As results... more so cambridge than oxford though. It shows their true potential and A's are harder to achieve at A Level as i'm sure you know
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Your GCSE results are fine. I know people with lower/similar GCSE results who got into those universities. KCL might be slightly risky, especially as you don't have an A in GCSE English, but as long as you get good AS levels and good A level predictions then there is no reason why you cant apply for those universities. Also not sure why Queen Mary is being classed as a 'rubbish university', especially as they want AAB-ABB with an A in Alevel English. Would say it's arguably on the same level as UEA & Liverpool (For English)

I Got AAABBBBCCC and fairly average AS results (BBCC) and managed to get 5 offers from fairly highly ranked universities.

Just work hard in your AS levels, especially for English and don't think about your GCSEs

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.