Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey.

I'm current a BTEC student living about a 2 hour public transport journey away from home. I'm current in a bit of a struggle of determining what to do. I'm currently doing:

IT BTEC
    Business BTEC

I wish to take computer science up as a degree at university.

I could attempt to apply to a new sixth form 20 minutes away from where I live and study 4 new subjects being:
    Mathematics
    Computing
    History
    Something else

My only worry is that I don't have the skills required for these subjects now as I took a year out to do the BTECs.

What do you guys think I should do?
    Stay with the BTECs or restart Year 12 on a 4 A level academic programme l.

Help me please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd recommend the A-levels if you think you would work well in an academic atmosphere. They're much better preparation for academic study, particularly on a demanding course such as computer science, and universities recognise that.

Having a year out shouldn't affect you all that much - you will initially feel a little out of place and rusty, but will soon slip back into the routine of A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply. I agree with you but my teachers are trying to convince me to stay! Could I get a few more peoples insights on this please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if you add business studies I did those exact As levels and dropped computing.
    If it were me I'd also go for the A levels. As long as you're wary of the vast difference in content involved, especially for history and maths. Especially business, business A level is quite interesting and honestly I found it much easier compared to maths and history.

ReputationRep:
    The business studies for me is BTEC and I'd pretty much all theory. May I ask why you dropped computing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wryal)
    Hey.

I'm current a BTEC student living about a 2 hour public transport journey away from home. I'm current in a bit of a struggle of determining what to do. I'm currently doing:

IT BTEC
    Business BTEC

I wish to take computer science up as a degree at university.

I could attempt to apply to a new sixth form 20 minutes away from where I live and study 4 new subjects being:
    Mathematics
    Computing
    History
    Something else

My only worry is that I don't have the skills required for these subjects now as I took a year out to do the BTECs.

What do you guys think I should do?
    Stay with the BTECs or restart Year 12 on a 4 A level academic programme l.

Help me please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Take the leap, you don't know. Could be a terrible decision, could be the best one you make yet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.