The Student Room Group

Which student bank account do you use?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Numberwang
What if you need to take the train like I do and you're offered a free four-year 16-25 railcard.

Woah woah woah.... who gives you a free 4 year railcard? Think I'm with the wrong provider here...
Original post by numanuma
Woah woah woah.... who gives you a free 4 year railcard? Think I'm with the wrong provider here...

Santander do - here's https://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/Satellite?c=Page&canal=CABBEYCOM&cid=1368433117854&empr=Abbeycomd&leng=en_GB&pagename=Abbeycom%2FPage%2FWC_ACOM_TemplateW2more info on it!

I'm with Santander already sadly :frown: Can I switch to somebody else and then switch back I wonder? :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Santander do - here's https://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/Satellite?c=Page&canal=CABBEYCOM&cid=1368433117854&empr=Abbeycomd&leng=en_GB&pagename=Abbeycom%2FPage%2FWC_ACOM_TemplateW2more info on it!

I'm with Santander already sadly :frown: Can I switch to somebody else and then switch back I wonder? :biggrin:

"Sadly?" I've heard good things about Santander, but been with Bank of Scotland for a good 3/4 years myself. Their customer service is amazing, very friendly and quick off the mark. But I never received any benefits like Tastecard or Railcard... just the standard overdraft, which I keep as an emergency store rather than anything else.
I'm with Natwest cos they gave me a railcard. As soon as I stop getting that I'll switch to an ethical bank or building society.
Reply 44
Original post by SophieSmall
I personally hate PINsentry. I think it's really inconvenient if you need to quickly check your online banking or make a transfer and you don't have it with you.

Hsbc have a good online banking service

Santander have the worst one,it requires 2 different pin codes to enter online, I did it for my mum it was like some da vinci code wannabe I logged her in once tried to do it again and it didn't work again

They then resent the login info, within two part letters, that are literally sent weeks apart.

Its fair to say we dont use it anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ruffiio
I just read somewhere that the max interest you can get on the TSB plus account per year is £78, doesn't sound like much but I guess better than nothing and you only got to pay in £500/month.

£100 or £80 or £60 or £55 depending on how much tax you pay. They dont pay any interest above £2000

Most people shouldbe able to get £100 because most students aren't tax payers

You can do the same with your £500

Earn £25 in your first year. Not much, but it's about the same amount as a year's railcard

Original post by jammy4041
No one seriously banks with Barclays?? :eek:. They have a 'student additions' account.

I am moving into my second year at uni, but I just have the plain ol' current account. Been banking with Barclays since 2009, seriously since 2012, and I have just continued to use them. I didn't really feel the need to get an overdraft, so I don't have one. And long may that continue.

To the person who said Lloyds internet banking was good, I raise you Barclays' internet banking. The PINsentry device is brilliant, and gives me something to trust with internet banking.

I bank with Barclays (non student) WHilst I like how you log in with Barclays, their GUI isn't the best

Original post by diggy

Santander have the worst one,it requires 2 different pin codes to enter online, I did it for my mum it was like some da vinci code wannabe I logged her in once tried to do it again and it didn't work again

They then resent the login info, within two part letters, that are literally sent weeks apart.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont have that issue with Santander(?) Sure youre not thinking of Lloyds/Halifax?

The worst offenders imo are Co Op and Norwich & Peterborough. Co Op have a terrible GUI

Original post by numanuma

Santander, but if you dont need to use the overdraft, you can more than cover the cost of a 4 year rail card, by throwing the money in a saings account

You can have another account, but it's normally against the t's and c's of the bank you're with to have another student account. SO long as theyre not in the same banking group they wont know a thing

(So long as you fund both accounts)

Personally I think that the Santander 123 account is better than any railcard

As someone pointed about above, NatWest now do tastecards - I'd rather a Club Lloyds account with a free membership to the gourmet society for that one
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by diggy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just change the passwords to something that's easier to remember. RBS online banking looks worse, seen my boyfriend use it a few times and it's one of those things where you need to type in certain letters from a few passwords

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a barclays student account. They were horrible. I've had some financial trouble so that was closed. I now have two current accounts, TSB and Natwest. I also have a joint account in Santander.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Natwest.

lol at all the people that took out the Santander one just for the railcard :rofl:

Spoiler

Are there any downsides to switching to a student account? I'm considering the HSBC one for the £60 amazon giftcard :colondollar: And the fact that you actually get interest in the first year, which is an improvement on my current account...
Original post by Motorbiker
Hopefully they won't realise i graduated either. Not that i'm using any of my overdraft but the railcard is always nice to have.

Also, hae you had that same avatar for like 3 years now?

I was a bit surprised when i got the card, they sent me the tastecard saying 'Hey know you've graduated you get this useless piece of plastic' and then a month later a new railcard shows up as well.

It's certainly been a while.

I was debating changing it before my sub ran out and i lost the option but i though I better just stick with it.
Original post by cambo211
I was a bit surprised when i got the card, they sent me the tastecard saying 'Hey know you've graduated you get this useless piece of plastic' and then a month later a new railcard shows up as well.

It's certainly been a while.

I was debating changing it before my sub ran out and i lost the option but i though I better just stick with it.

Cool, looking forward to my tastecard in the post soon then. :tongue:

It's been that way since i can remember. I've had like 3 total in that time.

Also, did you ignore my PM about the reboot of movie madness even though you were involved in the original?
I already have a student account going into second year but just curious, are the student accounts for 2014/15 entry even out yet? I looked online and they look the same as last year?
Original post by Motorbiker
Cool, looking forward to my tastecard in the post soon then. :tongue:

It's been that way since i can remember. I've had like 3 total in that time.

Also, did you ignore my PM about the reboot of movie madness even though you were involved in the original?

I completely gloss over most PM's :tongue:

I'm still in time to submit I see so i'll get round to it now.
Reply 54
Original post by SophieSmall
I personally hate PINsentry. I think it's really inconvenient if you need to quickly check your online banking or make a transfer and you don't have it with you.

If you register with Barclays Mobile Banking (get the app through app store etc), you can access your account from your mobile/tablet, and you only need to memorise a 5-digit passcode to access your account(s).
A quick question. When you set up a student account and you go to university in September. Are you allowed the overdraft before you pay any money in? Or do you have to receive your loan first, and then pay in the required amount and then you are entitled to the use of the overdraft?
Original post by David B
A quick question. When you set up a student account and you go to university in September. Are you allowed the overdraft before you pay any money in? Or do you have to receive your loan first, and then pay in the required amount and then you are entitled to the use of the overdraft?

I'm with Lloyds and I was able to access the overdraft as soon as my student account was approved which was about a month before I started university or got any student finance. I think this is true of most student accounts.
Original post by LoobyLy
If you register with Barclays Mobile Banking (get the app through app store etc), you can access your account from your mobile/tablet, and you only need to memorise a 5-digit passcode to access your account(s).

I don't have a smartphone capable of apps so that wouldn't be applicable with me.
I'm with Lloyds anyway :tongue:
Hi guys, quick question, so I have applied for student loan on my barclays debit card but I want to open a student account with HSBC, how do I can the bank details so that I student loan goes in the HSBC account?
Original post by David B

For HSBC they say you can use your overdraft as soon as your accounts approved

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending