The Student Room Group

Which student bank account do you use?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alow
I'm already going to be at the limit you can put into an ISA each year. Not worth it for the couple of quid I would get anyway.

You managed to put in £15,000 in your new ISA within the last few days? Read about the new ISA limit. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-cash-isa

Putting around £1000 into an ISA for a year is more than a couple of quid worth of interest, suit yourself.
Original post by OnionRing
Hi can I PM you about this? I'm interested :smile:

Hi, it's pretty self explanatory, get a student bank account with a 0% interest overdraft. If you don't use the overdraft for day to day living then just use some of it (not all of it obviously!) and put it into your ISA and earn interest on it. Just make sure you don't EVER go over the agreed overdraft limit, otherwise you will be fined / charged interest. Hope that helps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 122
Original post by littleeggy
You managed to put in £15,000 in your new ISA within the last few days? Read about the new ISA limit. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-cash-isa

Putting around £1000 into an ISA for a year is more than a couple of quid worth of interest, suit yourself.

Yes, I did.
Original post by Numberwang
What kind of problems? I've been wrestling over switching so, your experiences could be helpful!

Personally never had a problem with them - well aside from the fact that I was quire annoyed that they gave me a basic account when they basically own Lloyds (which was my "main" bank before)

so's go in easy enough. No IT issues etc ..
Original post by alow
Yes, I did.

Ooooo, someone is rich. :tongue: Good on you.
I use a local credit union.
I'm with Lloyds, its just a regular rather than student account though.
What about Barclays?
When I was a student I went with HSBC, I have since left (although plan to do distance learning) and I use HSBC as my main UK account. HSBC have despite being arses sometimes been the best bank I could ask for.
My brother had a halifax student account while he was at Newcastle. He ran up a £3000 overdraft over his three years and took two years to pay it back after graduating. They didn't charge him a penny!
because of that I have opened one with them and as I work P/T and have an unconditional, they have given me a £1000 O/D limit straight away.
I've had it for three months now and haven't had any probs.:smile:
Do you have to pay £500 into the Santander account before getting the railcard? Or could you get the railcard before transferring any money and then close the account?
Original post by EvanJackPenn
Do you have to pay £500 into the Santander account before getting the railcard? Or could you get the railcard before transferring any money and then close the account?

You can get the railcard before you pay anything into the account- that's what I've done. :smile:
But I don't think you can close the account until after a year(academic year) then you can just transfer.
Nationwide is my main current account, however I have been wondering what student account to get.. Satander seems to be the one which seems to be the most beneficial one for long run. (for the railcard lol.)
Could someone help me.

My sister and and some of you are in Santender which is cool. However, with the 4 year railcard that means you get a discount? Now this is great and stuff, but I already have a National Express student card and even though it's longer travels than train, do you think I should still go with Santender?

I mean, I personally would prefer the discounts for going out and meals and stuff. But I know most students won't go as they apparently never have any money. So I'm wondering should I bother with a student bank account that does the tastecards or discounts on meals and stuff?

Another question: The 2K is over the 3 year period of study, you don't get 2K per year? So if someone said you get 1.4K in your first year... So that's £1,400. And then in your second year, say if you didn't touch that money (yeah right), you'd then get an extra £300 which will then add up to £1,700? And so forth. Which then means, you get an extra £300 in the next two years.

(Yes I can do simple maths)! So if that's the case then going with the student bank account isn't really a problem. Is it just finding which discounts best suit my needs?
I'll be needing to apply for a new student account soon (current personal account is Barclays). My University is just over 6 hours away so would Santander be a good call based on their free railcard?
Original post by tehFrance
When I was a student I went with HSBC, I have since left (although plan to do distance learning) and I use HSBC as my main UK account. HSBC have despite being arses sometimes been the best bank I could ask for.

How were they arses?
Original post by Quit by Daring
How were they arses?

I had them at a low tier student account, it's not the best but I'm with them Premier wise which is now good so it's hit and miss on service :smile:
I just use lloyds no student bank service I don't qualify for that yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am also a student and i am going to open my account in HSBC. So can any one suggest me is it better for me or not?
My family had always been with Lloyds TSB and just before university started I was deciding between Lloyds and Natwest. I received a letter from Lloyds stating that they were automatically going to update my account into a student one. I was very confused as to how they knew I was going to be a student but I went in branch and told them not to. They did anyway which made up my mind to go to Natwest. I didn't want to stay at a bank which just ignored my request not to automatically change my bank account type.

Looking at the offers at the time the size of overdraft wasn't important to me and so the best choices were with Lloyds or Natwest. Still very poor interest rates but were better than the rest.

That was over 4 years ago
:moon:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending