Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I've just applied to study an access to science course and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good books? Which they found helpful, I wanna do some reading before I start just to get my head in the game!

Thanks all!

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise you to buy some CGP books in biology and Chemistry. The a level revision guide will be helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I'm also starting my Access to HE Science in September!

Collins Advanced Science series are really useful, I'm working through CAS: Biology right now, and have Chemistry & Physics lined up. 'The Sciences Good Study Guide' (published by the OU) is another I've found useful when studying in the past. Oxford University Press publish a series of 'A Very Short Introduction' books - I'm reading 'Molecules' and 'Evolution' from that series and found them very interesting - they lay good foundations at a general level, very readable. They have other titles on The Earth, Drugs, Cosmology & Psychology among much else. If you haven't already, read some popular science books by Richard Dawkins, Stephen Jay Gould, Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman, Jim Al-Khalili etc. Also Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' is a book I come back to again and again. Hope that helps some.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be too ambitious to start with. Working through GCSE textbooks in relevant subjects will give you the basic grounding you need to start Access. If you want to get ahead of the game, move on to AS/A2 Level textbooks. There's no point in going beyond that, except for your own interest.

ReputationRep:
    There are no specific access science books unfortunately.

I have just finished an access science course (chemistry, physics, biology). Our tutors told us which books would be helpful for the course. Some of the content of the course could vary because we only did human biology so our tutor told us that we should use anatomy and physiology for dummies.

I found that as a good all-rounder, CGP revision guides were good.

Although to get the depth you need for distinctions in those assignments, I would get a membership to a good, well stocked library as you will need specific information, and to be able to buy all the books you will need would be ridiculously expensive. But get to the library fast because from my experience, all the good books go quick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esteta)
    Hey guys,
    I've just applied to study an access to science course and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good books? Which they found helpful, I wanna do some reading before I start just to get my head in the game!

Thanks all!
    Definitely agree with another post in here don't aim to high too quickly. At the interview for my course last year I was told by the tutor to read GCSE revision guides for the science subjects. This was the best thing I could have done as prior knowledge of some of the topics is needed. If you then feel ready move on to A2 and AS revision guides.

I only read the GCSE guides and it made me feel more prepared. I then referred to AS & A2 guides as we progressed through the course, had I tried to read up on then before the course no think I would have felt confused and that wouldn't have helped me at all.

I know that this won't necessarily be the same for everyone but it worked for me. I finished the course exceeding the conditions of my offer and am in line for a scholarship for my chosen course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey. How's the course going?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.