Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

In September i should be starting an Aerospace Engineering course at university and i am wandering whether a laptop is required or not. I do currently have a laptop but this laptop is just over 3 years old and i would no longer consider it portable even though i have replaced the battery on several occasions.

I am only asking because i am a PC gamer and for me i would prefer to spend £1000 building a desktop than having to purchase another laptop that i would have to do my gaming off of.

So i am just wandering is a laptop required for every day use for Engineering courses or would having a desktop suffice for all the computer work i would have to do.

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly sure a desktop will suffice. The majority of people have laptops, but your university will have a library and other buildings that contain computers and computer rooms you can either book or turn up and use if you need them on-site. My university even has a laptop rental service in the library if you're quite stuck so there's usually a couple of options available.

I had a desktop because like you I spent the money upgrading that for gaming rather than buying a laptop. I suspect most stuff you'll do by hand on paper, and the rest will be more like formal reports written up or lecture notes looked at, so there's no immediate requirement for a portable machine.

ReputationRep:
    Though desktop will be sufficient for most cases, I'm pretty sure you will definitely encounter a situation which need your own laptop (group work, professional meeting, presentation sometimes, study trip).

For starters laptop is not essential unless you need to work within university library everyday without public computers, I'll suggest you wait and see first. I have a W540 as DTR since it's too heavy to carry out and another X1C for portable uses. If you seek optimum options in future I recommend you take a look of clevo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.