Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you tell a good friend something in confidence (something of a sexual nature involving another person), but not specifically saying that you don't want them to tell anyone, is it their bad if they then go tell other people?

And they should apologise for it shouldn't they? My friend/s are trying to make it sound like I was in the wrong for not specifying the privacy of the topic. However, I assumed a level of trust with this friend that they would have better judgement than to go blabbing, was it really my mistake?

I feel bad because it obviously exposes the other person in the matter who probably wouldn't agree to me telling my friend in the first place. The fact my friend is so unapologetic about blabbing off to other people and trying to blame me for making a mistake in judgement is making me riled up.

Who's in the right/wrong? Do I not deserve an apology for this?

ReputationRep:
    Well if you put it in such a way they didn't even think it was a secret, it can't be that much of a surprise but i suppose they should apologize anyway.

However the fact this secret involves someone else who wouldn't wan't this person you did tell told, then you are just as guilty for gossiping and if you don't want secrets to spread don't tell them anyone.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, I think it should be pretty obvious that anything like that should be kept a secret. I wouldn't even think about telling anybody if my friend told me a secret, even if they didn't specify if it was supposed to be kept between us. I don't think it's your fault at all, you trusted your friend enough that you didn't even think twice about asking them to keep it a secret because you automatically assume a friend wouldn't blab. It's super annoying because often when you tell your friends secrets, you say 'don't tell anybody please' and they're like 'obviously I wouldn't, you didn't even have to ask me' but now it looks like you need to inform people of the most obvious things..you would think it would be an unwritten code that a topic like that would be to a remain a secret.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If you tell a good friend something in confidence (something of a sexual nature involving another person), but not specifically saying that you don't want them to tell anyone, is it their bad if they then go tell other people?

And they should apologise for it shouldn't they? My friend/s are trying to make it sound like I was in the wrong for not specifying the privacy of the topic. However, I assumed a level of trust with this friend that they would have better judgement than to go blabbing, was it really my mistake?

I feel bad because it obviously exposes the other person in the matter who probably wouldn't agree to me telling my friend in the first place. The fact my friend is so unapologetic about blabbing off to other people and trying to blame me for making a mistake in judgement is making me riled up.

Who's in the right/wrong? Do I not deserve an apology for this?
    I'm willing to bet you're all female. This sounds like a school girl situation lmao.

But ye you have a crap friend.
    1) If you're upset they should say sorry and everyone can move on.
    2) Should have asked your permission to go gossiping about it anyway.

I generally repeat nothing my friends have said to me unless it's just normal everyday small talk.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to keep anything personal to my friends a secret, just in case it was a secret and i blab it out by accident.
    So to prevent that, i treat everything they tell me as a secret apart from small talk.
    You have bad friends, and what's worse is that they're making it out to be your fault.

It's not your fault, you shouldn't beat yourself up over it and just be careful of who you tell next time, and if you must - tell them it's a secret. This is why i only talk about things especially *private* things like this to people i have known for several years only. I know they won't betray me or blab it by accident because we've known each other for quite some time. I'm sorry to hear about this, but i suggest you only talk to them casually from now on.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.