Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When i get my social sciences degree, what can i do with it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So i'm 17 and i have just finished my HNC in Social Sciences and am beginning my HND in August, after that i will then be going to uni to turn it into a joint Sociology/Psychology degree then do honours.

When i get my degree what kind of jobs will i be able to enter? I don't have anything specific in mind, i just chose the subjects i enjoy. The plan after i graduate uni, which is when i will be 20, is just to work anywhere i can in order to get more work experience. The only real work experience i have is taking part in the initial research for the Poppins project in Scotland. Unfortunately i could not volunteer for the whole project because i live 30-45 minutes away and couldn't afford the bus fair It was such a great opportunity too!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Btw in case anyone is wondering why i didn't go straight to uni from school it's because i didn't want to stay on for 6th year, it would have been pointless as i would only be repeating failed subjects so i left at the end of 5th year and went to college instead

ReputationRep:
    As someone who is a Sociology/Criminology graduate, DON'T DO SOCIOLOGY. If you want something that'll make you employable have a look at doing a Social Work degree, maybe Psychology at a push. Sociology is a waste of time, not going to lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgeeza)
    As someone who is a Sociology/Criminology graduate, DON'T DO SOCIOLOGY. If you want something that'll make you employable have a look at doing a Social Work degree, maybe Psychology at a push. Sociology is a waste of time, not going to lie.
    Sociology is really that much of a bust? So in your opinion i will have an easier time finding a job if i get a degree in Social Work? I had considered it but i didn't think it would be that big a difference.

Thanks your advice, it's really appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IronMan97)
    Sociology is really that much of a bust? So in your opinion i will have an easier time finding a job if i get a degree in Social Work? I had considered it but i didn't think it would be that big a difference.

Thanks your advice, it's really appreciated
    You will find it FAR easier getting a job as a Social Worker with a Social Work degree (make sure it has the industry qual which allows you to register as a social worker, they usually do) because it is required to become a Social Worker. There is no direct job for a Sociology major. You can become a Sociology teacher but even for that you have to do a PGCE.

My writing ability improved drastically, had a good experience, came out with a 2:1 easily but I chose sociology/criminology initially because I was not sure what to go in to, didn't have the best grades at college level. I went to study a Masters in HR and now am working in the field of HR. The degree improved my writing ability SIGNIFICANTLY, increased my knowledge in a number of areas which I already found interested (Colonialisation, Globalisation, Society, Culture) and made me more accustomed to working to deadlines which are both transferable to a work setting but overall that could have been done with a lot of other degrees.

Look in to Social Work, see if its something you may be interested in. No point in doing it if you have NO interest in working as a Social Worker unless you want to become a Social Work lecturer, for which you will need additional academic qualifications.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.