Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to do History, english lit, business studies and psychology. Is this ok but I think I don't want to do psychology anymore so what should I choose instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JazzyT17)
    I'm planning to do History, english lit, business studies and psychology. Is this ok but I think I don't want to do psychology anymore so what should I choose instead?
    Choose any subjects you will do your best in.

Grades are what matters most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Choose any subjects you will do your best in.

Grades are what matters most.
    The best advice, Your more likely to get an offer from a top university with 3 softer A-levels with A*AA than ABB from Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

Maybe a good pointer is to choose essay based subjects.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely the grades that matter, I've been accepted with AABC and study History, Sport, BTEC Science (lol) and Welsh Bacc, so go with whatever interests you and get the grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barry2011)
    The best advice, Your more likely to get an offer from a top university with 3 softer A-levels with A*AA than ABB from Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

Maybe a good pointer is to choose essay based subjects.
    Doing all essay based subjects is never ideal, unless you are going to do best in them. For this reason I would a science or maths instead of psychology - or both instead of business studies and psychology.

Ultimately, make sure your choices are on this list, A1 and A2, and you can't really go wrong! As said above, grades are what really matter.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this helps but I did physics, sociology, politics and product design then dropped physics after AS - I got AAAC - all my teachers told me that sociology and product design (textiles) would never get me into law but I got offers from UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Leicester and Southampton. Nottingham gave me an offer of AAB and Leicester gave me an unconditional offer. When applying for law I'd say your personal statement counts for me than your subject choices so long as you can justify them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's already been said, but I'll just endorse everything that has been said.

I read law at Warwick, and I know that people have studied a broad array of different subjects. What we have in common is that irrespective of subject, we have got strong grades. Meet that threshold, and the floor is yours to impress them with your personal statement.

It must be said that English Lit, History, Politics and Maths are very common and they are obviously going to help the impression that your application makes. But by no means should you feel pigeon holed into taking those subjects.

My advice would be to stick with 2 "traditional subjects" just to be safe. But if you don't think you are going to get 3 As, just take something you enjoy.

Don't over think.

ReputationRep:
    How about law

ReputationRep:
    It's already been said, but I'll just endorse everything that has been said.

I read law at Warwick, and I know that people have studied a broad array of different subjects. What we have in common is that irrespective of subject, we have got strong grades. Meet that threshold, and the floor is yours to impress them with your personal statement.

It must be said that English Lit, History, Politics and Maths are very common and they are obviously going to help the impression that your application makes. But by no means should you feel pigeon holed into taking those subjects.

My advice would be to stick with 2 "traditional subjects" just to be safe. But if you don't think you are going to get 3 As, just take something you enjoy.

Don't over think it.

ReputationRep:
    You'd want to show whichever university you apply to, that you're a well rounded person with a personality. So maybe something you're comfortable doing but is perhaps NOT an essay based course?

ReputationRep:
    dont know personally, but one of my friends who wants to do law is doing maths, english, economics and business and physics...so idk how much the subjects actually matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilacunicorn)
    You'd want to show whichever university you apply to, that you're a well rounded person with a personality. So maybe something you're comfortable doing but is perhaps NOT an essay based course?
    I don't see how your A Level subject choice says anything about your personality.

How about politics?
      others are; sociology, French, German, Philosophy, maths
      anything you like tbh, as long as it's not a 'soft option'

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
      I don't see how your A Level subject choice says anything about your personality.
      The term 'personality' can also be used in conjunction to 'tasteful'.

E.g. "This room has a lot of personality!"

ReputationRep:
      Hmmm....psychology will be good...why does the op not want to do that?

ReputationRep:
      Maybe a science/ maths or a language to balance out the essay subjects. Also, studying 3 strong subjects will give you more options of what universities to apply to

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by student261)
      Maybe a science/ maths or a language to balance out the essay subjects. Also, studying 3 strong subjects will give you more options of what universities to apply to

Posted from TSR Mobile
      The OP would be in a position to make competitive applications to all UK Universities with just 2 subjects regarded as strong/traditional/hard.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Cakeymatey)
      The OP would be in a position to make competitive applications to all UK Universities with just 2 subjects regarded as strong/traditional/hard.
      Technically yes but for very competitive places like Oxbridge ect most people will have at least three

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      Sounds good, as long as you can show your capability to write essays and argue your case, your grades matter more than the subjects when applying for a law degree in my opinion since it's so competitive.

ReputationRep:
      I was thinking of doing;
      History,
      Geography,
      French and
      Philosophy.

Would this be a good combination for Law?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.