Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Afternoon... I'm thinking of GCSEs to take next year (Going to be in Year 11), and I was wondering if it would be plausible for me to consider self-studying History. I'm homeschooled, and currently teach myself. I know that GCSE History is difficult, but would you reckon it would be possible? And if so, what should I use as a source of study for it?

Thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is. My sister decided to do GCSE history like 3 weeks before the exam and did fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogree)
    Afternoon... I'm thinking of GCSEs to take next year (Going to be in Year 11), and I was wondering if it would be plausible for me to consider self-studying History. I'm homeschooled, and currently teach myself. I know that GCSE History is difficult, but would you reckon it would be possible? And if so, what should I use as a source of study for it?

Thanks for reading.
    Yeah possible sure, don't use the OCR books if you do that board they are completely boll*****. Instead I would reccomend getting revision guides instead. I don't know about the coursework though - I take it you are entering privately right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaBxoxo)
    Yeah possible sure, don't use the OCR books if you do that board they are completely boll*****. Instead I would reccomend getting revision guides instead. I don't know about the coursework though - I take it you are entering privately right?
    Yeah, I would be doing it like that if so. Would you mind explaining what the coursework would be like? A bit nub with knowledge of how GCSE History works.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I would be doing it like that if so. Would you mind explaining what the coursework would be like? A bit nub with knowledge of how GCSE History works.
    Its like a controlled assessment mine was about castles or something or other.

I don't know if I am right, and maybe someone could correct me - but with igcses I think you don't have to do cwk so the process may be easier.

ReputationRep:
    It depends, I literally just finished my GCSE History course which was on the Edexcel exam board. If you are good at essays/writing and are willing to memorise facts it is fine. For mine I got four units. First one was controlled assessment (coursework), which was about Crime and punishment, it is structured around three short essay answers based on that topic and subjectivity and comprehensiveness of sources, it is fairly source based and rather easy if you can justify your ideas about sources and their message and purpose. The other three were exam units, one being a source based paper (mine was on the USA 1945-70) whereby you are given six sources to analyse and use together in your answers, the other two were knowledge based essay papers, which largely asked about causes and effects of events. I would highly recommend GCSE History, but only if you are willing to work for it as some do find it challenging. It is fascinating to study, but you will do well if you keep up with the workload and practice as the questions are fairly similar in the way that you answer them, it is really just applying it to a context/topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaBxoxo)
    For the revision guides, I highly recommend the notes found in the indyjoneshistory.com website. There are very popular and you need only study in a short time to score an A (that is if you have a good memory)

ReputationRep:
    You will be fine as long as you have:

- The course textbooks (people say they aren't great but they are tailored to the exam so get them)
    - A clear understanding of which exam board you are with, when you are sitting your exams and the coursework/Controlled Assessment deadline
    - Somebody to set and mark your essays and look over your work to make sure it is all up to standard
    - Revision guides for condensed information when you are closer to taking the exams

ReputationRep:
    I actually self taught A2 History. I can say now that it would have been so much harder had a teacher at school not set and marked me essays. The content requires effort and broad memory.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for reading.
    Study the AQA B syllabus. It's easy to study, has decent topics, and the exams are straight forward. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a true love for history, study edexcel history Bchools history project.It's better than modern world history (as it does not contain any real history at all ), it does not contain as many source questions as the other school history project GCSE'S , and is quite flexible compared to others, as you can pick which questions you can dointhe exam.Also there are quite a lot of resources out there for the course.

ReputationRep:
    I actually didn't do History at GCSE (mainly because I didn't do GCSE's, but that's an entirely different matter) however, I did it in an Access course and have just finished my first year in uni studying history, I think if you really want to do it and enjoy history then there is no reason why you couldn't. I highly recommend getting some revision guides if you know what topics will be on the tests and having a look at some past papers and graded essays (sometimes revision guides have example essays in them so you know what to expect) Good luck, its always nice seeing people motivated about history, and you are used to self teaching so that will work in your favour!

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I taught myself Edexcel IGCSE History and was completely homeschooled and got no help from my parents or tutor. I got an A in History and am now ddoing it for A level.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.