Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Medical work experience Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm sixteen and hoping to do some medical work experience during this month and the next (July and August) as I don't start sixth form until September. I phoned the hospital volunteer number and they said I would have to wait until September and only go in when there are vacancies which isn't what I was looking for. Anyone got any ideas or personal experience? Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daviem)
    Hi, I'm sixteen and hoping to do some medical work experience during this month and the next (July and August) as I don't start sixth form until September. I phoned the hospital volunteer number and they said I would have to wait until September and only go in when there are vacancies which isn't what I was looking for. Anyone got any ideas or personal experience? Cheers.
    it took me a good year to get work experience. I finally got into a hospital near my grandma so stayed with her and then my local hospital.
    Also try Gp surgeries or volunteering in hospitals.
    Some hospitals have opportunities to help with meal times.
    Also hospices have doctors try them. I spent afew days at a hospice shadowing palliative care doctors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derma2019)
    it took me a good year to get work experience. I finally got into a hospital near my grandma so stayed with her and then my local hospital.
    Also try Gp surgeries or volunteering in hospitals.
    Some hospitals have opportunities to help with meal times.
    Also hospices have doctors try them. I spent afew days at a hospice shadowing palliative care doctors.
    What exactly do you mean by work experience? Because the hospital near me said I was not eligible for it as I have just left school.

ReputationRep:
    I think because of your age most hospitals don't take on volunteers at 16 they often take them on at 18 but you could look on indeed.co.uk for voluntary positions within the healthcare sector

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do not think you will get many (if any) places without the vaccinations, and they are a pain to go through, but, having done them myself for experience work I will say it is very useful, say you got them now, it took me the larger part of a year to finish the course, and I spent the next year working as a volunteer on a hospital ward. That was good enough experience to get me to the uni I wanted, and recently I was looking for summer work, and I found I was already in the volunteer system, so that it was a lot easier to get a placement in a different part of the hospital, and even at different hospitals if I wanted.
    All in all, it is a pain trying to get hospital work, and when you have it it can be a bit of a drag, but it really is worth getting the vaccinations done, because if you are aiming to go into a medical profession, or even some areas of research, you will need them anyway, and it helps get better placements. Also, while you get the vaccinations you can be working somehow else, but it is up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try and get a job at a local old people's home?
    I am 17 and have been working Saturdays for 2 years now, doing washing up and coffee rounds, and I know they are always desperate for volunteers.
    Yes it is not clinical, but it all counts as experience and shows you have important qualities that universities are looking for, such as the people skills and coping in difficult situations, not just handing out medication.
    It looks really good on your CV and personal statement, and would help you gain a lot of real life experience as it is not glamorous (AT ALL!), so shows that you are really serious about a career in medicine, and are willing to get your hands dirty.
    Good Luck!!

ReputationRep:
    you could join st johns ambulance as a start but you would also need to undertake some other medical voluntray experience. have you thought of writing to walk in centres etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureLawyer96)
    I think because of your age most hospitals don't take on volunteers at 16 they often take them on at 18 but you could look on indeed.co.uk for voluntary positions within the healthcare sector

Posted from TSR Mobile
    K, thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jones107)
    I do not think you will get many (if any) places without the vaccinations, and they are a pain to go through, but, having done them myself for experience work I will say it is very useful, say you got them now, it took me the larger part of a year to finish the course, and I spent the next year working as a volunteer on a hospital ward. That was good enough experience to get me to the uni I wanted, and recently I was looking for summer work, and I found I was already in the volunteer system, so that it was a lot easier to get a placement in a different part of the hospital, and even at different hospitals if I wanted.
    All in all, it is a pain trying to get hospital work, and when you have it it can be a bit of a drag, but it really is worth getting the vaccinations done, because if you are aiming to go into a medical profession, or even some areas of research, you will need them anyway, and it helps get better placements. Also, while you get the vaccinations you can be working somehow else, but it is up to you.
    Hey, sorry, I don't quite understand, what are the vaccinations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyLil)
    Why don't you try and get a job at a local old people's home?
    I am 17 and have been working Saturdays for 2 years now, doing washing up and coffee rounds, and I know they are always desperate for volunteers.
    Yes it is not clinical, but it all counts as experience and shows you have important qualities that universities are looking for, such as the people skills and coping in difficult situations, not just handing out medication.
    It looks really good on your CV and personal statement, and would help you gain a lot of real life experience as it is not glamorous (AT ALL!), so shows that you are really serious about a career in medicine, and are willing to get your hands dirty.
    Good Luck!!
    Yeah, true, I'll try it thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatsastudent)
    you could join st johns ambulance as a start but you would also need to undertake some other medical voluntray experience. have you thought of writing to walk in centres etc?
    Yeah, well, I'm going more down the GP route now as I'm not having any luck with he hospital but even they are hard to get into

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry, I don't quite understand, what are the vaccinations?
    injections to help prevent you contracting certain diseases

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, well, I'm going more down the GP route now as I'm not having any luck with he hospital but even they are hard to get into
    Find the name of one or two consultants in the local hospital. Write a letter directly to them about what you want to do, how long, why and etc and make it clear you are a student.

Don't make it very long. Just a paragraph or two will do.

I did the insane thing of writing to a 100 at one time and I got loads of acceptances and HR got annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    try different hospitals , there might be placements available for you. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    It's crazy hard to get med experience it seems. I was lucky enough to be given a place with the NHS; though there are loads of applicants. Make sure to spend lots of time on your application.
    I haven't had any vaccinations so far; I'm guessing its a possibility if working in high risk areas etc. Generally speaking I don't think you do, though.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Find the name of one or two consultants in the local hospital. Write a letter directly to them about what you want to do, how long, why and etc and make it clear you are a student.

Don't make it very long. Just a paragraph or two will do.

I did the insane thing of writing to a 100 at one time and I got loads of acceptances and HR got annoyed.
    Haha, well yeah I'll try it thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    It's crazy hard to get med experience it seems. I was lucky enough to be given a place with the NHS; though there are loads of applicants. Make sure to spend lots of time on your application.
    I haven't had any vaccinations so far; I'm guessing its a possibility if working in high risk areas etc. Generally speaking I don't think you do, though.
    I know I never thought it would be so popular in my area, thanks for your help though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chelsea12345)
    try different hospitals , there might be placements available for you. Good luck
    Thanks but it would be too far to travel if I tried any hospitals other than my local one

ReputationRep:
    By the way I know what a vaccination is, I just realised how that sounded haha, I was just unsure why you were saying I would need them because no one at the hospital or the GP's said I would need to have them

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.