I've just finished University and as such I've been applying for jobs. My degree was in urban planning but I have been applying for non-planning jobs as well and got offered a job last week from one of the places I applied, just a standard office job, nothing special but a job nonetheless.
However, I also got a called in for an interview for a planning job last Wednesday and the interview went pretty well, they said they'd ideally let me know by the end of the week but it might be longer as they have to pass my information on to the woman in charge of the graduate scheme... and sure enough I haven't heard back from them yet. Now, this would be my preferred job, it is what I want to do as a career, it's more money, better benefits etc. but I have verbally accepted the first job and start on 14th July...
How do I handle this situation? Would it be unacceptable to email/phone the place I interviewed at to try and push them for a decision either way and tell them about my other job offer? I don't want to sign anything with the other company and then be stuck there... I've already delayed my start date by a week as I wait for this other offer. I'm not pushing for a job offer (although that would be great) I simply want an answer one way or another so I can sort things out as quickly as possible!
Pushing an employer for a decision after interview... Watch
- Thread Starter
- 07-07-2014 16:36
- 08-07-2014 16:44
You need to know without being pushy. Simply call and ask when you can expect to hear. Mentioning another job offer may spur them into action but it can depend if the decision maker is available ie. on holiday that kind of thing.