Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Amsterdam in December! :D Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've just finished booking myself and the old Ball & Chain to a week away to Amsterdam in December!

I'm really excited about it, staying in a small 2-star hotel because all we're gonna use for is eating, sleeping and maybe building a little fort

Anyone care to share their stories? Where did you guy's like to visit? What are the best coffeeshops you've been too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    So I've just finished booking myself and the old Ball & Chain to a week away to Amsterdam in December!

I'm really excited about it, staying in a small 2-star hotel because all we're gonna use for is eating, sleeping and maybe building a little fort

Anyone care to share their stories? Where did you guy's like to visit? What are the best coffeeshops you've been too?
    It's lovely in December with all the Xmas decorations in the street, not too cold but does get very cold at night so take jackets and scarves etc anyway. Tourist wise it was really quiet when I went in December, bars and coffee houses will be quiet but there will be locals. Hope you have a good time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocolatesoup)
    It's lovely in December with all the Xmas decorations in the street, not too cold but does get very cold at night so take jackets and scarves etc anyway. Tourist wise it was really quiet when I went in December, bars and coffee houses will be quiet but there will be locals. Hope you have a good time!
    Thankies
    Yeah, weatherwise I was thinking jeans and shirt for going out to bars/coffeehouses at night? Perhaps a jacket too I guess.

Any places I should avoid that you know of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    Thankies
    Yeah, weatherwise I was thinking jeans and shirt for going out to bars/coffeehouses at night? Perhaps a jacket too I guess.

Any places I should avoid that you know of?
    when I was there it was pretty safe overall, we didnt even really know exactly where we were most of the time cos we just walked and ended up where ever our feet took us, but there were no dodgy alleyways or anything like that. i have heard from other people that guys walked up to them and tried to sell them cocaine and stuff, but they werent Dutch guys. however i didnt experience anything like this. everyone was friendly and even at night it was pretty quiet/deserted. as long as you use common sense you should be fine i went to the red light district around 9pm and it was pretty deserted if im honest, it was busier at 8am! but there were a lot of "dodgy" looking guys hanging about which as a female I found uncomfortable.

but just to show how nice everyone is: on the day of our flights I ran out of money so couldnt afford to eat, my friends ate a three course meal (i know what *******s right) whilst i sat there in the restaurant, so the manager came over and gave me some free food whilst saying "bella bella"! it made my day, he didnt have to do that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.