Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just graduated and have got a few offers to use recruiters, anyone have any success stories from these? (or otherwise!)

ReputationRep:
    I'm unsure what sector you envisage going into, but I'm pretty sure that the underlying experience of recruitment agencies will remain un-changed whatever industry you go into.

I have always wanted to be a teacher and I plan on doing a PGCE next year. I have volunteered extensively in schools and on mentoring programs throughout my time in university however I decided to look for a year of work in a school as a teaching assistant. Working a couple of days a week in a school is very different to a full time job in one.

A couple of days after my final exam I sat down and seriously began to look for work. Recruitment agencies seemed to be the obvious first choice as they were in contact with many schools. I figured that there was a reasonable chance one could place me. Eight days after finishing my final exam, on the 27th of May I got in touch with the first of two recruitment agencies that I used. After a quick conversation on the phone I was asked to send my CV through. They got back to me relatively quickly and asked me to come in the next day for a registration interview. That I did. The meeting went swimmingly well, I was told I had good experience and they seemed extremely confident that they could place me.

Being a skeptical sort, I decided to get in touch with another recruitment agency. These people invited me for interview on the 4th of June by which point I hadn't heard from the others. Everything went reasonably well but I left feeling dejected. As I walked back to the train station I can remember thinking "how many more of these interviews will I have to attend before I can secure something concrete?" Not much longer, apparently. Before I had even got home I had received a phone call from one of the recruiters, inviting me to interview at a nearby school the next day. This I did, and it seemed to go extremely well. Later on I received a phone call from the recruiter. Apparently the school liked me a lot and had invited me back to partake in two 'trial days' held the week after. I attended these on the Tuesday and Wednesday. There was an agonising wait before I heard that I was offered the job to start in September on the Monday- just a month after I had completed my final exam. I still haven't heard anything from the first recruiter I contacted.

In hindsight, I'd push your CV to numerous recruiters (if I hadn't, I'd still be job searching), but yes you can find work from them.

ReputationRep:
    Worth a shot. Some better than others. Have you tried any yet?

ReputationRep:
    You never know if you do not try it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.