Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Went to an interview recently and they asked me what i would be preferred to called, at the end of the interview. Thing is, the person who asked me this, was covering for the actual interviewer (actual interviewer was 'sick'). His handshake seemed weak, light and not to firm.

I don't even know how it went, and I was asked questions and got some wrong. They told me not to worry about it, but I'm thinking they must have asked those questions for a reason...

Also, I was told at the start of the interview, that there are other candidates that they have to interview.

All in all, this interview experience has been very very different to the ones I have been in the past. I really really want this job as it related to my future. I am surprised I wasn't asked any competency questions such as...
    1. What do you want to do in the next 5 years?
    2. Why did you pick X course?
    3. Name a time when you had to work in a team?

Does this mean I am rejected?

ReputationRep:
    No, different interviewers will ask different questions. If its been two weeks since the interview and you havent received an answer, its probably a rejection, but why not ring them up just to be sure? Sometimes if their application process is long it will take time to decide
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)

Seriously, you need to stop over-analysing these things, as without any interviewer experience you are miles wide of the mark.

1. The original interviewer was sick. People get sick. End of.
    2. Some people have limp handshakes. End of.
    3. 'What do you want to do in the next 5 years' is a pretty naff question to ask because you'll either get the preferred answer, which you have no way of telling if it's the truth or not, or the truth which is probably not relevant to the job you are offering. It's not a question most decent interviews would ask.
    4. 'Why did you pick this course?' is another pretty dappy question in most cases, I mean - who cares? If it was a vocational course that is needed for this career, then the answer is self-evident. If the degree is not related to the job, why would an employer be interested?
    5. 'Name a time when you have worked in a team' - well no-one should ask this as it only requires a one word answer - Football. But unless an employer really needs teamwork as a key skill and wants to test your evidence, this isn't a question they have to have an answer for.

You need to get better at working out what an employer is interested in, ie what skills are required for the job so that you can prepare yourself for the type of questions they might ask. Don't waste time fretting about handshakes and question selection after the event.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Seriously, you need to stop over-analysing these things, as without any interviewer experience you are miles wide of the mark.

1. The original interviewer was sick. People get sick. End of.
    2. Some people have limp handshakes. End of.
    3. 'What do you want to do in the next 5 years' is a pretty naff question to ask because you'll either get the preferred answer, which you have no way of telling if it's the truth or not, or the truth which is probably not relevant to the job you are offering. It's not a question most decent interviews would ask.
    4. 'Why did you pick this course?' is another pretty dappy question in most cases, I mean - who cares? If it was a vocational course that is needed for this career, then the answer is self-evident. If the degree is not related to the job, why would an employer be interested?
    5. 'Name a time when you have worked in a team' - well no-one should ask this as it only requires a one word answer - Football. But unless an employer really needs teamwork as a key skill and wants to test your evidence, this isn't a question they have to have an answer for.

You need to get better at working out what an employer is interested in, ie what skills are required for the job so that you can prepare yourself for the type of questions they might ask. Don't waste time fretting about handshakes and question selection after the event.
    You are right.

Turns out, I am shortlisted and selected for the second interview. Now the competition is between me and someone else. Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mav455)
    No, different interviewers will ask different questions. If its been two weeks since the interview and you havent received an answer, its probably a rejection, but why not ring them up just to be sure? Sometimes if their application process is long it will take time to decide
    Thanks for your response.

Turns out, I am selected for the second interview

Now its between me and someone else for the job
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    You are right.

Turns out, I am shortlisted and selected for the second interview. Now the competition is between me and someone else. Any tips?
    Do the same as you did before. It got you through first time so its your best bet for a second round. It will be a very similar set of questions, its the interview panel that will probably change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Do the same as you did before. It got you through first time so its your best bet for a second round. It will be a very similar set of questions, its the interview panel that will probably change.
    Won't it be more intense? Since I'm up against one candidate?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your response.

Turns out, I am selected for the second interview

Now its between me and someone else for the job
    Thats great, congratulations! Good luck for the second interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mav455)
    Thats great, congratulations! Good luck for the second interview
    Thanks

Won't it be more intensive in the second round?

Any tips

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.