Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

She uses my full name sometimes. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully one of you girls can answer this. In work. Everyone calls me Dan but this girl sometimes calls me Daniel, no one else calls me by this name. When she says it it's in an up tempo voice too.

ReputationRep:
    At least you get called by your first name, I get called by my brother's name and just respond to that sometimes. Even people who don't even know me call me my brother's name :confused:

Oh and she wants the D

Spoiler:
    Show
    The dumachi.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe calling you by her full name comes more natural to her? Some people don't like to shorten down names, its just one of those things. There doesn't have to be a reason for it.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she wants to be your mum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Maybe she wants to be your mum.
    +1 lol'd :rofl:

OP: Some people just don't like to shorten names, 'tis no biggie

ReputationRep:
    Does it bother you? I know some people have said that there are people who don't like to shorten names but, equally, our names are very personal things and a lot of people are quite uncomfortable with people using some variants of theirs. So basically, if you don't mind being called Daniel then it's no big deal, just let her, but if it feels unatural because you're so used to being Dan then just mention it. Doesn't need to be a big thing or confrontational, just next time she does it say something like"It's ok, you can call me Dan, everyone does." in a friendly way.

ReputationRep:
    Why dont you see how she reacts when you confront her about it. Saying "You know, it's alright to call me Dan" and then looking at how she reacts or replies to that will show you if she's comfortable with calling you Dan or if she just prefers to call you Daniel xD

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.