Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is 24 years too old for University? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody, I am a 24 year old male who is going to be studying English and Journalism at UWE Bristol in September. However, what worries me is whether I have left it too late to make a career in journalism. For example, I will be 27 years old when my degree is finished and would media outlets still take me on and give me a job. Secondly, when I see younger people who have gone abroad and had work experience it makes me feel more insecure knowing that they are six years younger then me and have more experience. The only experience I have is writing for my student newspaper at College. Lastly at 24 years old will I still be able to enjoy myself or is it just me overreacting?

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oaksi567)
    Hi everybody, I am a 24 year old male who is going to be studying English and Journalism at UWE Bristol in September. However, what worries me is whether I have left it too late to make a career in journalism. For example, I will be 27 years old when my degree is finished and would media outlets still take me on and give me a job. Secondly, when I see younger people who have gone abroad and had work experience it makes me feel more insecure knowing that they are six years younger then me and have more experience. The only experience I have is writing for my student newspaper at College. Lastly at 24 years old will I still be able to enjoy myself or is it just me overreacting?
    I'm turning 24 and going to UWE in September too (hopefully!). It's never too late to go to uni and enjoy yourself - there are plenty of people older than us who go and still have a great time .

ReputationRep:
    To answer the actual question, rather than the one that everyone seems to want to answer: Probably not.

You're obviously not too old for university; but as to whether you can become a journalist - that's on you. I would doubt that it makes a big deal at all. My limited knowledge on the subject is that it's not really a graduate profession.

You may well find that some places think you're too old. That's something you'll have to discover for yourself - preferably before you spend 3 years reading a degree.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 23 and going to UWE too. I have Friends going who will turn 22 during the first year as well as friends attending other Uni's on their second attempt at 24. Trust me age is not the issue. Someone at 18 could come out with a third you at 27 could come out with a First putting you ahead of the pack and having come out on top. Age is irrelevant it's the person that counts .

ReputationRep:
    You are never too old to chase your dreams

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_91)
    I'm 23 and going to UWE too. I have Friends going who will turn 22 during the first year as well as friends attending other Uni's on their second attempt at 24. Trust me age is not the issue. Someone at 18 could come out with a third you at 27 could come out with a First putting you ahead of the pack and having come out on top. Age is irrelevant it's the person that counts .
    What will you be studying at UWE?

ReputationRep:
    I met some people who were in their late 20's at my university so I would not say your too old.

ReputationRep:
    I hope not, cos I am 27 and starting uni this year, and will be 30 when I graduate (which sounds scary)

But in all honesty I am looking forward to it and I just intend to embrace it fully

ReputationRep:
    No! I'll be turning 40 in my first week at uni and I can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    No it's never too late to change a career path to a career your passionate about. If journalism is what you want to do go for it, although I would recommend some work experience. Maybe go for a degree with a sandwich year for extra experience? To get a job in any area you've got to prove you can bring something to your employers that all the other candidates can't. For example if you've just got a degree and no experience and your competing for a job with someone who has experience they will probably get the job over you. To become extra competitive you should get your degree, have experience and be good in interviews. Show a passion for the job you want at the end.

ReputationRep:
    you're 24? ew. Thats so old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oaksi567)
    I know a 27 year old dude from class going to uni this year for engineering. The tides are high, brotha!

ReputationRep:
    My mum went to uni when she was 30 and graduated when she was 34.

It's not too late.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 26, so No.

ReputationRep:
    I am 23 and I will go this September, I am so happy for it =D It's never too late! =D My brother went with 24 as well and he had a great time!

ReputationRep:
    I'm at UWE, just finished first year at 21. There are MANY 'mature' students, and plenty venture into town with other students. However, there was a 30+ year old living in halls which people found strange...

ReputationRep:
    I'm 26 and studying at Bournemouth (originally from Bristol) it's never too late!! The statistics show that approx 20% of students are mature!! Don't feel insecure either, younger students may have had experiences that you haven't but think of all the life experiences that you have had that you can share with them. I often get called "mum" because I've been known to take others under my wing and support them! (I thought I would be offended but actually I like it haha) I was also elected for the last academic year to be our students unions "mature students officer" that has given me opportunities to get more involved, meet some amazing people and make an impact and have a say on how things are run in my university. Quite a unique experience that not all average young students can do good luck in your studies. All I can finish with is that going to university (even though it's later in life) has been the best choice I have ever made.

ReputationRep:
    Mature students are a dream to teach (believe me!!). You'll be fine. Very few people are ready to go to university at 18 and you'll probably find that you will get a much better degree and academic experience being that much older. Hope that you enjoy it!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.