Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting 3rd year in September and was wondering how easy/difficult it is to get accommodation on campus. I know they recommend that you try and find off-campus houses, but a couple of my friends this year were on-campus (one of them actually moved on-campus about half way through the year) and I think that they try and fit you in on-campus if they still have places and you haven't found anywhere by the start of term in September, is there any chance of this?

If anyone has any advice about on-site accommodation, please let me know; thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by matt158)
    I'm starting 3rd year in September and was wondering how easy/difficult it is to get accommodation on campus. I know they recommend that you try and find off-campus houses, but a couple of my friends this year were on-campus (one of them actually moved on-campus about half way through the year) and I think that they try and fit you in on-campus if they still have places and you haven't found anywhere by the start of term in September, is there any chance of this?

If anyone has any advice about on-site accommodation, please let me know; thanks!
    I lived on campus in my third year, so it is possible. However, it is very competitive and as it's allocated on a first-come, first-serve basis you've got to make sure to be right there when the on-line application opens. Also, most people I know who lived on campus in their third year didn't get their first choice of accommodation, so that's worth bearing in mind. It's not the case that they try and fit you in in September if you've tried to find private accom and haven't succeeded, though; you've really got to apply on the day (ideally within an hour) of the applications opening. I had a friend who applied a few hours late and she was about 100 on the waiting list, though she did move up the list and a week before term started she was given a room. However, this is a very risky strategy!

In short, there's a chance you'll get a room, but you have to apply as early as possible, and if you can sort out a back-up plan, that'd be a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    That's really helpful, thank you!

(Original post by llacerta)
    I lived on campus in my third year, so it is possible. However, it is very competitive and as it's allocated on a first-come, first-serve basis you've got to make sure to be right there when the on-line application opens. Also, most people I know who lived on campus in their third year didn't get their first choice of accommodation, so that's worth bearing in mind. It's not the case that they try and fit you in in September if you've tried to find private accom and haven't succeeded, though; you've really got to apply on the day (ideally within an hour) of the applications opening. I had a friend who applied a few hours late and she was about 100 on the waiting list, though she did move up the list and a week before term started she was given a room. However, this is a very risky strategy!

In short, there's a chance you'll get a room, but you have to apply as early as possible, and if you can sort out a back-up plan, that'd be a good idea.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.