Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So basically I'm starting uni this september and Im thinking how many lens do I need since the dry body I'm planning to get there is rather small. Im planning to bring my 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 with my 6d and my 1d mk 3.

So should I bring one more lens?
    If so which one of the following prime would it be: 14mm 2.8, 35mm 1.4, 50 1.2, 85 1.2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilsoncw1997)
    So basically I'm starting uni this september and Im thinking how many lens do I need since the dry body I'm planning to get there is rather small. Im planning to bring my 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 with my 6d and my 1d mk 3.

If so which one of the following prime would it be: 14mm 2.8, 35mm 1.4, 50 1.2, 85 1.2?
    Your two bodies cost more each than the contents of a lot of people's entire rooms, never mind the lenses assuming they're both L glass. I think you're wayyy out of the ballpark of taking what you need already. Are you going to be doing photography as a course or trying to get some work as a photographer while you're at university, or just using them purely recreationally? If you're doing it as a course, get in touch with the department staff and ask what they recommend in terms of equipment for the modules you'll be doing. Odds are you're more than well enough equipped for the majority of tasks. If you're going to be looking for work, bring the gear that's most suited for the jobs you're going to be trying to do. If it's all for fun, bring whatever you like using and doesn't leave you limited in the shots you can take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Your two bodies cost more each than the contents of a lot of people's entire rooms, never mind the lenses assuming they're both L glass. I think you're wayyy out of the ballpark of taking what you need already. Are you going to be doing photography as a course or trying to get some work as a photographer while you're at university, or just using them purely recreationally? If you're doing it as a course, get in touch with the department staff and ask what they recommend in terms of equipment for the modules you'll be doing. Odds are you're more than well enough equipped for the majority of tasks. If you're going to be looking for work, bring the gear that's most suited for the jobs you're going to be trying to do. If it's all for fun, bring whatever you like using and doesn't leave you limited in the shots you can take.
    It's for fun only, but Im thinking about the 14 mm since I broke my 17-40mm
    But I'm thinking that the value of my gear is too much already and I'm scared about losing them...

ReputationRep:
    You could always just take the 6D and maybe the 35 for the first term to see how safe you feel there. And if its dodgy take it home one weekend, or bring more back if you feel comfortable. I wouldn't take what I estimate to be £4-5k of equipment straight away at any rate.

You may already have it, but check out camera specific insurance, and read guidelines about uni halls/houses. You might well not be covered or have to pay extra what with student places being prime targets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    You could always just take the 6D and maybe the 35 for the first term to see how safe you feel there. And if its dodgy take it home one weekend, or bring more back if you feel comfortable. I wouldn't take what I estimate to be £4-5k of equipment straight away at any rate.

You may already have it, but check out camera specific insurance, and read guidelines about uni halls/houses. You might well not be covered or have to pay extra what with student places being prime targets.
    Im an international student so I have to bring all I need for the year in one go.

ReputationRep:

take the 6D and 24-70, 35 1.4, 50 1.2 and the 70-200 if you do a lot of tele stuff. you won't need a 1d3 you will never use it. tbh it's overkill taking anything more than the 6D and 35 1.4 but whatever.

to be honest mate, if you own that much gear surely you can decide for yourself what you need and what suits your style best? sounds like you just came here to show off that you own a couple of lenses and an old "pro" body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andypee)
    take the 6D and 24-70, 35 1.4, 50 1.2 and the 70-200 if you do a lot of tele stuff. you won't need a 1d3 you will never use it. tbh it's overkill taking anything more than the 6D and 35 1.4 but whatever.

to be honest mate, if you own that much gear surely you can decide for yourself what you need and what suits your style best? sounds like you just came here to show off that you own a couple of lenses and an old "pro" body.
    I know what I like to shoot but since I rarely use primes, I want to know if theres things like uni things that demand more than two zoom lens. i.e. uni sports event. Not showing off, If was I would be posting everything I have. Just asking for advice, sorry if that sort of got you mad or something. Sorry again if yes.

ReputationRep:
    I know what I like to shoot but since I rarely use primes, I want to know if theres things like uni things that demand more than two zoom lens. i.e. uni sports event. Not showing off, If was I would be posting everything I have. Just asking for advice, sorry if that sort of got you mad or something. Sorry again if yes.
    course i'm not getting mad

boom, problem solved.
    you don't use your primes, you got the 24-200mm range covered in two fast zooms and a camera with insane high iso performance. you're set for any event - but is that what you'll be photographing?

ReputationRep:
    If it were me, I'd take the 6D and the prime lenses. That's a nice little set of primes and you could take some stonking photos with them, and teach yourself some discipline in terms of framing at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    I must be getting old or something. Entire careers have been built on one or two focal lengths. The 50 would be sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't get the question. If you're moving permanently, why not get all your stuff over? And if you really don't want that (maybe due to security concerns), choose what suits you. You have pro bodies and a host of lenses, so I assume you know your business and have developed preferences. Take the lenses you prefer anyway, no one else can tell you what to take.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.