Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We shall be getting our AS results back in about a month or so and wanted to get ready for University applications. I want to ensure I don't waste the holidays doing nothing at all. I am a private candidate and thus will have little help with my application. I am looking to apply for a degree in Mathematics.

Questions I have

1) I am pretty set on where I want to apply to, should I look into booking open days right now?
    2) Is a reference from a private tutor okay?
    3) Am I right to be worried that the only thing related to Mathematics I do outside of studying is tutoring other kids? My personal statement is going to be so bad...
    4) What can I do right now to improve my application? I am currently looking to purchase some books from various universities' reading list.
    5) Any advice?

Many thanks, I look forward to your posts

ReputationRep:
    Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Etudiant)
    We shall be getting our AS results back in about a month or so and wanted to get ready for University applications. I want to ensure I don't waste the holidays doing nothing at all. I am a private candidate and thus will have little help with my application. I am looking to apply for a degree in Mathematics.

Questions I have

1) I am pretty set on where I want to apply to, should I look into booking open days right now?
    2) Is a reference from a private tutor okay?
    3) Am I right to be worried that the only thing related to Mathematics I do outside of studying is tutoring other kids? My personal statement is going to be so bad...
    4) What can I do right now to improve my application? I am currently looking to purchase some books from various universities' reading list.
    5) Any advice?

Many thanks, I look forward to your posts
    1. Certainly, if it's convenient to you.
    2. Yes, if you are a private candidate and it's therefore your only option.
    3. With maths, it's not really about the ps very much. It's all about UMS.
    4. Be interested in maths and look at the sample ps in the TSR personal statement bank.
    5. Get the UMS and it will be plain sailing.

ReputationRep:
    Are you planning to do STEPS exams? If you get good UMS and you are doing well in STEPS practise papers your personal statement isn't really going to matter, although tutoring other kids shows interest in Maths, You could enter Maths Challenge http://www.ukmt.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parentlurker)
    Are you planning to do STEPS exams? If you get good UMS and you are doing well in STEPS practise papers your personal statement isn't really going to matter, although tutoring other kids shows interest in Maths, You could enter Maths Challenge http://www.ukmt.org.uk/
    I plan on applying to Warwick and perhaps Cambridge so I shall be doing STEP 2 and 3. I am also going to do all 18 units (Additional Further Maths). The only problem is that I have only sat the exam for one module - Core 1. I was forced to miss the rest of the exams due to being extremely ill at the time, I am currently undergoing treatment for this now. Two of people I tutor are going to sit their Mathematics GCSE by Year 8-9. This is pretty much the only 'wow' thing I can put on my personal statement and even then I don't think it is that great. I am yet to read any of the books on the recommended reading lists too... I shall look into the Maths Challenge though, thank you

(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    1. Certainly, if it's convenient to you.
    2. Yes, if you are a private candidate and it's therefore your only option.
    3. With maths, it's not really about the ps very much. It's all about UMS.
    4. Be interested in maths and look at the sample ps in the TSR personal statement bank.
    5. Get the UMS and it will be plain sailing.
    Brilliant, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    The only problem is that I have only sat the exam for one module - Core 1. I was forced to miss the rest of the exams due to being extremely ill at the time, I am currently undergoing treatment for this now.
    The Cambridge selection process relies heavily on ums in the three most relevant AS levels and if you only have a figure for one exam this is likely to create a problem. Did you manage to do any mock exams? I would ask on ths thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...r#post48498908

and then probably check the answer by emailing admissions at other Cambridge colleges with a similar question.

At open days you can often ask questions about your personal position after any subject talks

ReputationRep:
    The Cambridge selection process relies heavily on ums in the three most relevant AS levels and if you only have a figure for one exam this is likely to create a problem. Did you manage to do any mock exams? I would ask on ths thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...r#post48498908

and then probably check the answer by emailing admissions at other Cambridge colleges with a similar question.

At open days you can often ask questions about your personal position after any subject talks
    Unfortunately, It wasn't possible for me to do mocks as I am a private candidate. I am able to get a letter from my G.P who is well aware of my condition as well as my tutor, who should be able to write about my ability. I would understand if they reject me on the basis of not having enough proof of my abilities but I sincerely hope I get a chance

In regards to open days - I need to find out when they're holding the next one. I shall check out that thread too, thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, It wasn't possible for me to do mocks as I am a private candidate. I am able to get a letter from my G.P who is well aware of my condition as well as my tutor, who should be able to write about my ability. I would understand if they reject me on the basis of not having enough proof of my abilities but I sincerely hope I get a chance

In regards to open days - I need to find out when they're holding the next one. I shall check out that thread too, thank you very much!
    Sorry but I doubt you have much chance of an interview at Cambridge, you may get an offer from Warwick. If you have excllent GSCEs you could look at Oxford, they pay less attention to AS level. Of course if you do really well you could take a gap year to apply to Cambridge but you'd have to choose college carefully as some dont like gap years, especially for maths. You'd need to be doing something in the gap year to keep up your maths - open university course or extended project maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but I doubt you have much chance of an interview at Cambridge, you may get an offer from Warwick. If you have excllent GSCEs you could look at Oxford, they pay less attention to AS level. Of course if you do really well you could take a gap year to apply to Cambridge but you'd have to choose college carefully as some dont like gap years, especially for maths. You'd need to be doing something in the gap year to keep up your maths - open university course or extended project maybe.
    That's what I feared, with my chances of consideration so low I am unsure as to whether I should give it a shot and apply :/

I am not exactly on a gap year - I finished Sixth Form in 2012 and started self-teaching Mathematics and Economics earlier this year, so I have been doing Maths pretty much every day.

Thanks for your advice dude

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest you contact Cambridge Admissions or the Cambridge Mathematics Department, rather than basing your decision on any opinions given in this thread. Whilst it is true that UMS marks are important in Cambridge admissions decisions, when they exist, I think their absence due to illness would not be problematic. Cambridge are still in the position of interviewing most people, and Cambridge maths much more rely on STEP offers to sort between candidates - in fact out of all subjects, UMS marks correlate least well with first year results in Mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    I would suggest you contact Cambridge Admissions or the Cambridge Mathematics Department, rather than basing your decision on any opinions given in this thread. Whilst it is true that UMS marks are important in Cambridge admissions decisions, when they exist, I think their absence due to illness would not be problematic. Cambridge are still in the position of interviewing most people, and Cambridge maths much more rely on STEP offers to sort between candidates - in fact out of all subjects, UMS marks correlate least well with first year results in Mathematics.
    Thank you for your post RichE, I made a post here but I did not get a very positive message, nevertheless, I shall contact the Cambridge Mathematics Department directly, thank you very much for the suggestion. Due to my missing grades I really hope my reference and predicted grades mean something

ReputationRep:
    That's what I feared, with my chances of consideration so low I am unsure as to whether I should give it a shot and apply :/

I am not exactly on a gap year - I finished Sixth Form in 2012 and started self-teaching Mathematics and Economics earlier this year, so I have been doing Maths pretty much every day.

Thanks for your advice dude
    I realised you're not on a gap year now, I meant take a year after completing the Maths you are studying now so that you could apply with known grades. That would give you a much better chance of success at Cambridge. Cambridge colleges are very much responsible for their own admissions so while I suspect you'd get similar answers from all the colleges it's still worth asking. You can phone admissions tutors and they don't bite (at least as long as you're asking a question where the answer isn't in the prospectus/ on their website). Make sure you do contact a tutor rather than speaking to admin staff as you'll sometimes get different answers.

ReputationRep:
    I realised you're not on a gap year now, I meant take a year after completing the Maths you are studying now so that you could apply with known grades. That would give you a much better chance of success at Cambridge. Cambridge colleges are very much responsible for their own admissions so while I suspect you'd get similar answers from all the colleges it's still worth asking. You can phone admissions tutors and they don't bite (at least as long as you're asking a question where the answer isn't in the prospectus/ on their website). Make sure you do contact a tutor rather than speaking to admin staff as you'll sometimes get different answers.
    Whilst what you're suggesting is very good advice I feel like I cannot wait that long, had I had been 18 now I would have no hesitation going to University 1 year later than most people but I am now 20 years old - 21 soon and most of my friends are about to start their final year of University in September. If I was to wait another year I would graduate at age 25, I know it may not sound like a big deal but it bothers me a lot, the feeling of being left behind gets to me sometimes

When I think of my situation I cannot help but think about those who shall be applying for entry in 2016 or 2017 as they will sit all of their exams at the end of their A2 year. I don't know how it is going to work out then but surely things like predicted grades and personal statements should count for something? I don't know... I know my chances are slim but I shall try calling them tomorrow and see what they say. Thank you very much for your posts, I really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    So have you done other A levels and then realised your interest in Maths and if so what did you get in other A levels? Or did your health prevent you sitting exams earlier? A track record of success in other subjects strengthens an application, if you were ill Cambridge might want to see something to show you are well enough to cope at university. People go to university at almost any age, I think the oldest may be 80. Medical students are frequently older than 18 and have 5 year courses.

Please don't get hung up on Cambridge. The maths course there is extremely demanding and they shunt some people who don't do well into computer science. Warwick - or other universities like Bath, Bristol, Edinburgh, Imperial, Oxford, Manchester, Nottingham - have good maths courses but, with the exception of Oxford, spread over 10 weeks a term instead of 8.,

ReputationRep:
    So have you done other A levels and then realised your interest in Maths and if so what did you get in other A levels? Or did your health prevent you sitting exams earlier? A track record of success in other subjects strengthens an application, if you were ill Cambridge might want to see something to show you are well enough to cope at university. People go to university at almost any age, I think the oldest may be 80. Medical students are frequently older than 18 and have 5 year courses.

Please don't get hung up on Cambridge. The maths course there is extremely demanding and they shunt some people who don't do well into computer science. Warwick - or other universities like Bath, Bristol, Edinburgh, Imperial, Oxford, Manchester, Nottingham - have good maths courses but, with the exception of Oxford, spread over 10 weeks a term instead of 8.,
    I was at college from 2010-2012 and did arguably very easy subjects as I didn't know then what I wanted to do afterwards, I did BTEC L3 Business, I.T and Economics. Until earlier this year I was only focused on Computing and I was learning Mathematics because the best Computer Science courses requires it. I eventually got to liking Mathematics on its own and that is where I am now. I love it! It's not not exactly the age thing that bothers me, more so being left behind. For example by the time I graduate many of my friends may already have started their own careers etc. I know it's sad but seeing and hearing everyone on Facebook, Twitter etc. saying how they're doing at University and stuff bothers me a bit, I'm not jealous, just sad that I am not there with them.

I really want to go to Cambridge so I think I will apply and see what happens. I may not get an offer but at-least then I won't regret not applying and wondering what if right? Thank you again for your help parentlurker!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.