Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is my blog post easy enough to understand? Watch

I tried to refer to a journal for this blog post but I'm not sure if it's layman enough.

ReputationRep:
    It was all good until you started talking about charge ratios. At that point you lost me. That whole paragraph is just not layman friendly. The rest though is fine, enjoyably readable.

(Original post by mikeyd85)
    It was all good until you started talking about charge ratios. At that point you lost me. That whole paragraph is just not layman friendly. The rest though is fine, enjoyably readable.
    Thank you

I've simplified the paragraph, I hope it's easier on the eye, it was the best I could do without missing out important information.

ReputationRep:
    When you use terms like 'Quadropole Mass Speculator' explain what it is, that'll make the reader follow better.
    Also the Bowie joke is a bit ham-handed.

(Original post by Tom_green_day)
    When you use terms like 'Quadropole Mass Speculator' explain what it is, that'll make the reader follow better.
    Also the Bowie joke is a bit ham-handed.
    Hm, I could but it'll just complicate things. What do you mean? If you think I could probably do without the humour, I'll consider it.

Edit: Actually, I have briefly explained with a QMS.

I imagine if anyone wanted to know what a spectrometer was, they could use their own discretion by googling it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamyourfather)
    Hm, I could but it'll just complicate things. What do you mean? If you think I could probably do without the humour, I'll consider it.

Edit: Actually, I have briefly explained with a QMS.

I imagine if anyone wanted to know what a spectrometer was, they could use their own discretion by googling it?
    No it's not that it should be removed- if the article is aimed at dumb-dumbs like me, humour is good. It's just that your joke is that there is a song with a similar name, instead of the joke being weaved into the article. Pointing something out isn't that funny.

Shortening it to 'QMS' doesn't explain what it actually is.

And if you want the unknowing to understand your article, telling them to google the hard bits isn't helping and can come off as rude. Try exlpaining what it is to someone who doesn't know anything about science.

(Original post by Tom_green_day)
    No it's not that it should be removed- if the article is aimed at dumb-dumbs like me, humour is good. It's just that your joke is that there is a song with a similar name, instead of the joke being weaved into the article. Pointing something out isn't that funny.

Shortening it to 'QMS' doesn't explain what it actually is.

And if you want the unknowing to understand your article, telling them to google the hard bits isn't helping and can come off as rude. Try exlpaining what it is to someone who doesn't know anything about science.
    Well...the one-liner wasn't intended to cause people to laugh themselves silly, it was just something light-hearted that I thought would personalise my blog.

I said a QMS identifies gases based on their masses. I did say it does this by using pyrolysis, but I could throw in the definition of what pyrolysis is. I also said a TLS detects trace gases. I'm really not sure what else I could explain without wandering off into technicals...

I would never tell an audience to google the hard bits, I'd try my best to explain to them in the clearest way I can. But if I start explaining every little science instrument and term, then it may read as condescending.

I mean if people wanted to know more about something that an article perhaps didn't expand upon, I would think people's immediate reaction would be to look into it. It's what I do when I'm reading a book, article, etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.