Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Been doing Rippetoes for 5 months, thoughts on my progress and the future? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Here are my lifts as of this week:
    Squat: 122.5kg: 5,4,3. Really struggled with these today. 120kg 3x5 was really do-able last time but today felt really quite heavy when I tried 122.5kg for the first time. I will try again next session.

Deadlifts: 130kg 1x4 : I am currently doing a reset of 10% off and will be back at 127.5kg working weight for my next session.

Bench Press: 65kg 3x5: I am quite disappointed with this. I have had trouble with this lift especially and today I tested out the Tate form.. and it worked amazingly well. The 65kg I had stalled on previously felt light today even though I only did one test set of 5 reps after doing a lot of practice for the proper form beforehand. I kept watching the Tate "So you think you can bench?" video over and over a few times to get the form very clear in my mind. So, this should really improve my bench press overall.

Military Press: I can't get past 52.5kg for some reason. I have done 3x5 before with good form. But today I have only managed 5,5,3... good form. This was after a reset. I am just frustrated with this tbh.

I want to milk the Rippetoes programme linear progression as much as possible but I am now at the point where I am missing reps and the programme is becoming much more difficult than what it was before. I know my next stage is Madcows but I am unsure of when to move on to it.

162 pounds
    5ft10

ReputationRep:
    the above is meaningless without knowing where you started

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    the above is meaningless without knowing where you started

February 15th. Started with the bar for all of the lifts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.Almasy)
    162 pounds
    5ft10
    If you posted this on Rippetoe's forum he would almost certainly tell you to eat more.

ReputationRep:
    i am unfamiliar with this programme but what sort of progression have you made in the time you have been on it. If a programme is not rely working for you i would change it up. your squat seems to be your best lift out of the three so focus more on your bench and deadlift by prioritising these movements. Work your weaknesses bro.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    After 5 months you've got a lot more newbie gains in you imo

I remember you posting about stalling a while ago (dat smelling internet sense) and you got a belt to try and go through it.

You've got to eat more bro, no way around it. Increase you're calories 200 cals up and see how that goes.

If you're bored go to a different beginners athletic style programme for you as a rugby player. You might want to try the original version of SS with powercleans. There's nothing stopping you from adding some accessories to SS, you'd be daft not to. Adding some form of OHP on your bench day afterwards (I personally did DB OHP after I'd done my SS work on the bench workout day), some more tricep, core and some upper back work doesn't hurt aswell. Bicep work for making sure to summon the bro in all of us

The lack of volume in SS makes it hard at times, you have two options - eat more and more, or eat more and add some accessory imo.

That's my experience of SS at least, I ran it for 3 months before a combination of injury and boredom made me add accessories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    After 5 months you've got a lot more newbie gains in you imo

I remember you posting about stalling a while ago (dat smelling internet sense) and you got a belt to try and go through it.

You've got to eat more bro, no way around it. Increase you're calories 200 cals up and see how that goes.

If you're bored go to a different beginners athletic style programme for you as a rugby player. You might want to try the original version of SS with powercleans. There's nothing stopping you from adding some accessories to SS, you'd be daft not to. Adding some form of OHP on your bench day afterwards (I personally did DB OHP after I'd done my SS work on the bench workout day), some more tricep, core and some upper back work doesn't hurt aswell. Bicep work for making sure to summon the bro in all of us

The lack of volume in SS makes it hard at times, you have two options - eat more and more, or eat more and add some accessory imo.

That's my experience of SS at least, I ran it for 3 months before a combination of injury and boredom made me add accessories.

I agree with the food point, my current 350 cals above maintenance is not enough. A little bit of fat gain in the short term is necessary for the overall long term good of strength and muscle gain. I asked on T-nation and there are some good points on here you may be interested in. : http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_onl...orumIndexTopic
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.Almasy)
    I agree with the food point, my current 350 cals above maintenance is not enough. A little bit of fat gain in the short term is necessary for the overall long term good of strength and muscle gain. I asked on T-nation and there are some good points on here you may be interested in. : http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_onl...orumIndexTopic
    Yeah I agree with with what they say tbh, increase cals by 200 or so then reassess via scales and/or progress in a fortnight.

Also don't suffer in boredom, just because Rippletoe says to just follow the programme, adding accessories intelligently will add gains, I stalled out at a 52.5kg OHP, a month or so later I was repping 60kg pressing twice a week, not massive strength gains but I got through my OHP stall without increasing my calories. (Anecdotal evidence I know, but honestly it works within reason)

Good luck mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Yeah I agree with with what they say tbh, increase cals by 200 or so then reassess via scales and/or progress in a fortnight.

Also don't suffer in boredom, just because Rippletoe says to just follow the programme, adding accessories intelligently will add gains, I stalled out at a 52.5kg OHP, a month or so later I was repping 60kg pressing twice a week, not massive strength gains but I got through my OHP stall without increasing my calories. (Anecdotal evidence I know, but honestly it works within reason)

Good luck mate
    Yeah, everyone seems to get stuck on around 52.5kg OHP. I would love to get to 60kg lol. I agree, eat more and do some more accessories. More chin ups, pull ups, rope pushdowns for triceps (I have not worked triceps this week... oops.)

ReputationRep:
    You're the same height and weight as me. Strong squat , coming on nicely. Your ohp suggests you should be benching 75kg+ for reps. 20lbs fairly lean muscle in 5 months is excellent.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.