Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do big cars handle better than small cars ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I drive a small hatchback (Peugeot 106) and my friends big Toyota Avensis can take bends and corners at higher speeds than mine does.

He said "you can go faster in a big car without it being unsafe"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrownNoser)
    I drive a small hatchback (Peugeot 106) and my friends big Toyota Avensis can take bends and corners at higher speeds than mine does.

The Avensis has better weight distribution, it also has independent rear suspension which means you're not going to get as much body roll and understeer effectively allowing you to take corners at higher speeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Jargen)
    The Avensis has better weight distribution, it also has independent rear suspension which means you're not going to get as much body roll and understeer effectively allowing you to take corners at higher speeds.
    I meant by and large, is there truth in that bigger/heavier cars handle better?

ReputationRep:
    I meant by and large, is there truth in that bigger/heavier cars handle better?
    by and large, yes.

if the car overall is more expensive, the car maker can afford to put more money into a nice suspension.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily, Depends on what kind of suspension and chassis set up the car has.

Some big cars handle like boats.

ReputationRep:

It all depends on what suspension setup the car has, take my Octavia and my mates Laguna for example, mine handle well considering the aga under the bonnet but the Laguna (as well as being a petrol and a Sporty model) means he can take corners a lot faster than me. But my dads Focus ST will leave us both for dead in any corners as that's set up for hard driving

ReputationRep:
    My Pajero handled lovely, both on road and off. I much prefer it to smaller cars. Unfortunately, it guzzles like a beast so when I came back to the UK it had to go.

Name:  mitsubishi-pajero-1-big.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  190.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of parameters that affect handling. Handling doesn't mean anything to me. There is no car that can save a bad driver from his bad skills (computer systems are trying now to but there is always a place for human error). And a car that has more grip, means it will crash a higher speed.

Having ability to take corners quicker does not necessarily mean that the car handles better. Car may have more grip to use, but behave worse/more difficult. And it is a lot about driver and conditions. Some cars may have some qualities that do better in different conditions. Soft suspension eg. does better on bumpy roads, wide tyres are good on dry tarmac but often bad on other surfaces etc. You should not care about handling but about your skills.

Despite having smaller tyres and worse suspension, your Peugeot probably has a better ability to make rapid turns because it's shorter and lighter (less pendulum), but watch out for the oversteer- it has light back, so it will be difficult to stay on the road when the rear axle will skid and it may happen when you release the throttle or push the brakes slightly, when going throuh a corner at grip limit. On other occasions it will be understeer (front wheel drive and most of weigh at front axle, same as the Toyota)

I've been driving some very different cars such as Honda Accord Wagon, Kia Cee'd, Fiat Panda (no stabilizer bar version) and FSO Polonez (it's suspension is like 30ties to 70ties standard, looks like a pre war design). Each of tchem has it's own qualities and problems. The Honda for example is very stable and fells easy to drive, but clumsy when driven to the edge. Kia was very fast and stable, but nervous on snow, the Panda is very nible and terrific on bumpy roads but nervous as hell during oversteer. The Polonez would scare most of drivers that are used to modern cars, but it's much easier to control it, while it's sliding and it's terrific on gravel roads.

ReputationRep:
    Mini and Lotus Elise are probably the best handling cars of all time.

They are small and low weight and have a decent suspension set up.

Like any sports orientated car, they will perform better on tight roads than a 107 with very skinny tyres and designed for a city drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTMalewski)

I've been driving some very different cars such as Honda Accord Wagon, Kia Cee'd, Fiat Panda (no stabilizer bar version) and FSO Polonez (it's suspension is like 30ties to 70ties standard, looks like a pre war design). Each of tchem has it's own qualities and problems. The Honda for example is very stable and fells easy to drive, but clumsy when driven to the edge. Kia was very fast and stable, but nervous on snow, the Panda is very nible and terrific on bumpy roads but nervous as hell during oversteer. The Polonez would scare most of drivers that are used to modern cars, but it's much easier to control it, while it's sliding and it's terrific on gravel roads.
    All cars are clumsy when driven to the edge, that's not a fair reflection on the Accord

ReputationRep:
    The heavier weight in better cars makes a big difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    The heavier weight in better cars makes a big difference.
    For the better or worse ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bumalone)
    For the better or worse ?
    Oh much better. They hold the road far more comfortably. My Mercedes is fab

ReputationRep:
    Oh much better. They hold the road far more comfortably. My Mercedes is fab
    So a fire engine would hold the road better still

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bumalone)
    So a fire engine would hold the road better still
    Indeed they do. That is why they can do eighty miles an hour with no problem.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed they do. That is why they can do eighty miles an hour with no problem.
    what about a lorry with cargo on the back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    what about a lorry with cargo on the back?
    We are discussing high quality cars not trucks or the laws of motor engineering.

ReputationRep:
    We are discussing high quality cars not trucks or the laws of motor engineering.
    well a fire engine isn't really a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    well a fire engine isn't really a car.
    I didn't mention it till asked.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mention it till asked.
    and now I've asked about lorries.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.