Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student Finance Madness!!! HELP Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone!!

So basically i'm having complete madness with student finance, sure you all are as well, its such a pain sometimes!!

So... i'm applying to be an Independent Adult Student because this way I can claim grants. So I've not lived at home with my parents for three years now. For the first two years I lived with my partner and his mother. In the past 10 months though me and my partner have been privately renting and moved out of his mothers house.

So from 2011-2012 I was studying at Wakefield College and working at WhSmiths - Low Income (because I was a student I couldn't claim any goverment money help I had to live on my REALLY REALLY low income)

2012 - 2013 I was studying at Wakefield College and working at WhSmiths - Low Income (because I was a student I couldn't claim any goverment money help I had to live on my REALLY REALLY low income)

2013 - 2014 I have been an apprentice so again a really low income but then couldn't claim anything because of boyfriends salary.

So basically my partner has supported me financially for the past three years. For me to be classed as Adult Learner and supporting myself they want me to have earned more than 7k a year but I haven't, they refuse to take my partners income into account because we are not married!!

I'm now stuck because I wont be able to claim any student finance because they want me to put my parents income in but they don't really want to be involved because I've not lived with them for the past three years.

Anyone had the same problem? or have any suggestions?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Are you still in contact with your parents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbehartley)
    Hi Everyone!!

So basically i'm having complete madness with student finance, sure you all are as well, its such a pain sometimes!!

So... i'm applying to be an Independent Adult Student because this way I can claim grants. So I've not lived at home with my parents for three years now. For the first two years I lived with my partner and his mother. In the past 10 months though me and my partner have been privately renting and moved out of his mothers house.

So from 2011-2012 I was studying at Wakefield College and working at WhSmiths - Low Income (because I was a student I couldn't claim any goverment money help I had to live on my REALLY REALLY low income)

2012 - 2013 I was studying at Wakefield College and working at WhSmiths - Low Income (because I was a student I couldn't claim any goverment money help I had to live on my REALLY REALLY low income)

2013 - 2014 I have been an apprentice so again a really low income but then couldn't claim anything because of boyfriends salary.

So basically my partner has supported me financially for the past three years. For me to be classed as Adult Learner and supporting myself they want me to have earned more than 7k a year but I haven't, they refuse to take my partners income into account because we are not married!!

I'm now stuck because I wont be able to claim any student finance because they want me to put my parents income in but they don't really want to be involved because I've not lived with them for the past three years.

Anyone had the same problem? or have any suggestions?
    If you aren't married to your partner and you haven't completely lost contact with your parents then you either have to convince them to supply their income details (if they earn less than £60K) or you can only get the minimum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    If you aren't married to your partner and you haven't completely lost contact with your parents then you either have to convince them to supply their income details (if they earn less than £60K) or you can only get the minimum.
    I'm not an expert but I don't think this is true. Read this - no mention of 7k http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/m..._sheet_v03.pdf

I suggest you need a letter from someone at Wakefield College to say your relationship with your parents had broken down while you were there and some proof that you were living at a different address. Also if there is proof your boyfriend supported you you might consider supplying that.

Simplest way - get married

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parentlurker)
    I'm not an expert but I don't think this is true. Read this - no mention of 7k http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/m..._sheet_v03.pdf

I suggest you need a letter from someone at Wakefield College to say your relationship with your parents had broken down and some proof that you were living at a different address.
    It's been quoted on here several times from learners who were told by student finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    It's been quoted on here several times from learners who were told by student finance.
    Showing you have earned 7.5k (current figure) is the easy way to show you have supported yourself, it may not be the only way. Anyone who has supported themselves on less could consider an appeal if funding is refused http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/media...let_1314_d.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Your partners income would be taken into account anyway afaik.

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be to just keep at it.

I also had issues applying for the same grant (for being independent of my parents). It was for different reasons (I could only provide evidence for 2 years and 9 months ...) but perseverance succeeded. In the end it was a letter which, in my opinion, barely proved anything. So don't neglect anything you could possibly use, the tiniest scrap of information might be enough. Unfortunately, it did take months before my application for a grant was accepted (nice big pack payment!). Oh, and keep on phoning them, make a nuisance of yourself.

As others have mentioned, it might be worth asking staff at college to supply a letter stating your parents won't co-operate. Harsh I know, but it might help.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone, thanks for all your reply's!!

Still not got much further.

And to whoever said get married, I can't just get married, I can't afford it, and couldn't do that it such a short amount of time now anyway.

Well basically I moved out of my parents house in the first place because I was kicked out, had a real bad breakdown in relationship with them, and hardly talked to them since. Didn't talk to them at all for two years. Trying to get someone from college to write me a letter, but they've said they most likely wont be able to because anyone could of written it. I asked them if they could put it on Letterheaded paper and get someone from College to Stamp it or something to prove its real, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Any other suggestions?

I'm currently putting a booklet together of evidence:
    - Letter from partners mother
    - Letter from partner
    - Bank Statements of mine and my partners joint account
    - Letters showing we both live at this address
    - Rental agreement
    - College Cards showing I was a student
    - Letters proving I lived at my partners mothers address for 2 years

Anyone else got any other suggestions?

ReputationRep:

And to whoever said get married, I can't just get married, I can't afford it, and couldn't do that it such a short amount of time now anyway.

Well basically I moved out of my parents house in the first place because I was kicked out, had a real bad breakdown in relationship with them, and hardly talked to them since. Didn't talk to them at all for two years. Trying to get someone from college to write me a letter, but they've said they most likely wont be able to because anyone could of written it. I asked them if they could put it on Letterheaded paper and get someone from College to Stamp it or something to prove its real, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Any other suggestions?

I'm currently putting a booklet together of evidence:
    - Letter from partners mother
    - Letter from partner
    - Bank Statements of mine and my partners joint account
    - Letters showing we both live at this address
    - Rental agreement
    - College Cards showing I was a student
    - Letters proving I lived at my partners mothers address for 2 years

Anyone else got any other suggestions?
    Unfortunately I don't think much or any of your evidence is going to help. Where you live is irrelevant, student finance will go on parents income unless your over 25, estranged from parents, working for 3 years or married. So you need to badger your college for that letter, explain you going to university depends on it.

ReputationRep:
    Managed to get a letter from my tutor stating that while I was studying at college with her I moved out into my partners because of a break down in relationship, it also says that I have no if little contact with my parents. Do you think this will help?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Managed to get a letter from my tutor stating that while I was studying at college with her I moved out into my partners because of a break down in relationship, it also says that I have no if little contact with my parents. Do you think this will help?
    http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/m...yap_1314_d.pdf

Please read this document, page 29.

"If you want to claim independent status becauseyou are estranged from your parents, you mustprovide confirmation from a professional personoutside your family who knows about yourcircumstances. Examples of proof you couldprovide are: ....
    • if your relationship with your parents brokedown while you were at school or college, aletter from an advice worker or personal tutoror teacher, confirming your circumstances

"

I think you have a valid case.
    Good luck with getting it sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/m...yap_1314_d.pdf

Please read this document, page 29.

"If you want to claim independent status becauseyou are estranged from your parents, you mustprovide confirmation from a professional personoutside your family who knows about yourcircumstances. Examples of proof you couldprovide are: ....
    • if your relationship with your parents brokedown while you were at school or college, aletter from an advice worker or personal tutoror teacher, confirming your circumstances

"

I think you have a valid case.
    Good luck with getting it sorted.

Thank you - I really hope so. It will be a very big relief after a very difficult few months.

ReputationRep:

I make the current cost 80 pounds, worth that for the grants, and presumably this is a 3 year course. https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-p...ships/overview People don't have to have ridiculously expensive weddings, have a renewal of vows when you can afford a party.

You now have a college letter, if that doesn't work appeal.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.