Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that teachers base their references mainly on the completed personal statement that you give to them after the summer holidays. What else do they base their references on?

The reason I ask is because my school is making us write a 'draft' personal statement which are being marked and supposedly are used to write our references however I think that is all a load of baloney. I'm pretty sure that the draft is meaningless and is a waste of time and effort to write so early. Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    My teachers have supposedly already written ours even before we handed in our draft PS, didn't even have any time to suck up (such hardship :cry2:)

ReputationRep:
    Why do students imagine we spend all our time lying to them? I wrote my references a month ago, as did the rest of the staff. It will be updated after results come in. The Ucas process takes a long time in a big sixth form and it has to get underway in time for the first applicants to get off the block in the first week of September, if they so decide. The reference is based on the work you've done all through your AS year, plus the AS result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Why do students imagine we spend all our time lying to them? I wrote my references a month ago, as did the rest of the staff. It will be updated after results come in. The Ucas process takes a long time in a big sixth form and it has to get underway in time for the first applicants to get off the block in the first week of September, if they so decide. The reference is based on the work you've done all through your AS year, plus the AS result.
    Ditto

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Thanks for that. I ended up writing the PS anyway, but obviously the final draft will be several times better. I just don't like the fact that references should be based on a draft which nobody really puts effort into because they have other priorities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zzFishstick)
    Thanks for that. I ended up writing the PS anyway, but obviously the final draft will be several times better. I just don't like the fact that references should be based on a draft which nobody really puts effort into because they have other priorities.
    It's only based on the ps to the extent that we need to know what you are applying for so that we don't emphasise the qualities you have that will make you a fantastic student of Serbo-Croat literature when you are actually applying for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Our school does it by your subject teachers each writing a small paragraph about you in lessons, so it will be very report-ish and probably mention how well you did in your modules. They probably will have done most of it by now and just waiting for your results.

Form tutor then copies and pastes it into their reference for you, from which they write an introduction and conclusion.

Usually before they send off your application to get checked by the head, they will let you read it / ask if you want to add anything (One of my yearmates said he basically wrote half his reference :h:)
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zzFishstick)
    Your draft must cover all the main points. Your reference shouldn't just be a a rehash of your PS- that's a waste of time for admissions staff! However, a good reference will support things you've mentioned in your PS, and is ideally tailored at least a bit to the subject you want to study.

References will also cover stuff that doesn't belong on the PS- things like extenuating circumstances, and what kind of student you are as well as justifying your predicted grades.

To me, it sounds like your teachers are doing their best to write a PS that's personal to you and relevant to the subjects you want to study- which is something you should be pleased about!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.