Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    B689 - Food Labelling Bill 2014, TSR Opposition
    Food Labelling Act 2014

An Act to clarify to consumers whether meat is Halal or Kosher

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Definitions

1 Halal meat is meat that is slaughtered in compliance with Islamic law.
    2 Kosher meat is meat that is slaughtered to comply with 'kashrut' standards and therefore means that the meat is 'Kosher'.
    3 Religious meat is meat that is slaughtered in compliance with Halal and/or Kosher standards.

2 Offence

1 It is an offence not to label Religious meat with an easily visible symbol to signify it's religious slaughter when the meat is being sold.
    2 It is an offence sell Religious meat in any form without disclosing to the consumer that it is Halal and/or Kosher before the delivery of the goods.

3 Enforcement and Exceptions

1 This rule will be enforced by the FSA (Food Standards Agency), this Act gives the FSA the right to search all premises that sell meat in any form in the UK. This rule will also be enforced with the powers given to the FSA by the Inhumane Slaughtering Bill 2014.

2 There are no exceptions to this Act for any reason.

4 Sanctions

1 Any Company found to be in contravention of 2.1 or 2.2 may receive a fine of £50000.
    2 Any Company found to be in contravention of 2.1 or 2.2 for a second time may receive a fine not exceeding £100000.

5 Commencement, Short Title and Extent

1 This Act may be cited as the
    Food Labelling Bill 2014.

2 This Act extends to the entire United Kingdom.

3 This Act will come into effect on the 1st of April 2015.

• TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Aye!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Why? Provided the animal has been stunned (which the recent Inhumane Slaughtering Act - I presume it passed - requires) then why should anybody care if prayers have been said over the animal?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    Unfortunately it expired.
    It could do with being written again, I doubt there'd be huge amounts of opposition.

That seems a fairer way to sort out this problem rather than explicitly singling out halal and kosher. This bill does seem very anti-kosher and anti-halal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    It could do with being written again, I doubt there'd be huge amounts of opposition.

That seems a fairer way to sort out this problem rather than explicitly singling out halal and kosher. This bill does seem very anti-kosher and anti-halal.
    One angle for me is that Hinduism requires them not to eat any meat that has been blessed in another god's name (or something to that effect). So one benefit will be that Hindus will find life a lot easier.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    One angle for me is that Hinduism requires them not to eat any meat that has been blessed in another god's name (or something to that effect). So one benefit will be that Hindus will find life a lot easier.
    Incidentally, does it have to be blessed in a Hindu god's name?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Sure, I think it's fair enough. I've got no problem with eating Halal or Kosher meat but I think it's fair that it should be labelled if people have objections (although, at least in the case of Kosher meat, most of it is more than clearly labelled anyway since it's so expensive that only people who are specifically looking for it would buy it).

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    It seems unprecedented to mandate this sort of labelling. If consumers care that much they will shop at stores that do label.

Also this is very difficult to enforce as most meat from New Zealand is already halal and some muslim takeaways to avoid discrimination have small halal logos on menus. Forcing them to show meat is halal is like forcing jews to wear the start of david

Also a 50,000 fine ?? WTF the fine for having horse meat or hiring illegal immigrants is less than that. This bill is full of dog whistle politics

ReputationRep:
    Well Hindus are vegetarian so...
    Muslims cannot eat products that have gelatine from Pork, do we now introduce a law to say the source of gelatine must be shown on all sweets ?

I dont think its the business of government to get involved in this. Unless we have clear fraud where a shop keeper says his food is hindu friendly and vegetarian and turns out to be Kosher or something that is already illegal and fraud
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye, it's a good supplement to the Inhumane Slaughtering Bill. I think it is extremely important that all food is properly labelled so that people know what they're eating and get to make the choice. Even now that a lot of my own personal concerns with the religious meats have been fixed with the former bill, I still think there are plenty of legitimate reasons for people to feel uneasy about eating them, and it is vital that people get to make that choice.

Does this apply to restaurants? Are they required to inform consumers when they might be consuming a halal/kosher product? It seems to me that at the moment, this bill would probably only apply when buying the meat yourself, and I'd prefer it to go the full mile so that any place providing my din dins has gotta tell me if there's a chance there might be some halal/kosher meat in there.

Fines may be a bit steep though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)
    Aye, it's a good supplement to the Inhumane Slaughtering Bill. I think it is extremely important that all food is properly labelled so that people know what they're eating and get to make the choice. Even now that a lot of my own personal concerns with the religious meats have been fixed with the former bill, I still think there are plenty of legitimate reasons for people to feel uneasy about eating them, and it is vital that people get to make that choice.

Does this apply to restaurants? Are they required to inform consumers when they might be consuming a halal/kosher product? It seems to me that at the moment, this bill would probably only apply when buying the meat yourself, and I'd prefer it to go the full mile so that any place providing my din dins has gotta tell me if there's a chance there might be some halal/kosher meat in there.

Fines may be a bit steep though.
    Technically the restaurants are selling the meat to consumers, so they would have to label it on the menu. The fines will be looked at.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James222)
    Muslims cannot eat products that have gelatine from Pork, do we now introduce a law to say the source of gelatine must be shown on all sweets ?
    That sounds fair in all honesty. At least tell us what animal it's from, or it's no different to just writing "meat" instead of "pork" or "beef".

ReputationRep:
    Aye. Unfortunately we cannot rely on food businesses to voluntarily label foods, especially with something that could help to maintain/boost sales if brushed under the carpet or neglected.

Does this extend to restaurants though, which often provide a loophole where otherwise labelled/rejected produce can slip in? And if so, could anyone clarify whether menus would have to be labelled, as per vegetarian products currently?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsKid)
    Aye. Unfortunately we cannot rely on food businesses to voluntarily label foods, especially with something that could help to maintain/boost sales if brushed under the carpet or neglected.

Does this extend to restaurants though, which often provide a loophole where otherwise labelled/rejected produce can slip in? And if so, could anyone clarify whether menus would have to be labelled, as per vegetarian products currently?
    Technically the restaurants are selling the meat to consumers (in one form or the other), so they would have to label it on the menu. So in essence yes, restaurants will have to label them.

(Original post by O133)
      Why? Provided the animal has been stunned (which the recent Inhumane Slaughtering Act - I presume it passed - requires) then why should anybody care if prayers have been said over the animal?
      Personally I care as a Jew and it's my duty to uphold these... :yawn::lol: I don't care and I prefer Halal rather than Kosher food, maybe I should become a Muslim? :lol:

----

Also I thought my suggestions had corrected the bill, clearly not;
      1.3 and 2.2, the 'and/or' should be 'or' only, you can't have Kosher and Halal as one although as a Muslim you can eat Kosher just Jews can't eat Halal

ReputationRep:
      Technically the restaurants are selling the meat to consumers (in one form or the other), so they would have to label it on the menu. So in essence yes, restaurants will have to label them.
      Great

Forcing them to show meat is halal is like forcing jews to wear the start of david
        This is in noway comparable, the Star of David is a religious symbol which Jews were forced to wear during the Holocaust, asking someone to label, when the majority of Halal/Kosher stores already do, just not supermarkets for example, isn't comparable and perfectly fine.
        Muslims cannot eat products that have gelatine from Pork, do we now introduce a law to say the source of gelatine must be shown on all sweets?
        It should be labeled also, may people have an objection to eating meat and it would help them too.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by O133)
        Incidentally, does it have to be blessed in a Hindu god's name?
        Nope, no Hindu will give a rat's arse about what you put in your mouth as long as it isn't beef. Even if it is beef most people won't care.

Aye to the Bill. It should be up to the people eating the meat to decide how they wanted it slaughtered, and this provides the with the required information.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by tehFrance)
        This is in noway comparable, the Star of David is a religious symbol which Jews were forced to wear during the Holocaust, asking someone to label, when the majority of Halal/Kosher stores already do, just not supermarkets for example, isn't comparable and perfectly fine.

It should be labeled also, may people have an objection to eating meat and it would help them too.
        The star of david has nothing to do with the Holocaust and jews were forced to wear it long before that. As explained its technically difficult to do and many take aways dont feel safe promoting they are owned by muslims.

Gelatine always comes from animals it comes from the Bone I believe and vegetarians are opposed to eating meat as opposed to by products from animal bones.

ReputationRep:
        Well Hindus are vegetarian so...
        Hindus aren't vegetarian...

We probably should, yes.

I dont think its the business of government to get involved in this. Unless we have clear fraud where a shop keeper says his food is hindu friendly and vegetarian and turns out to be Kosher or something that is already illegal and fraud
        Why should I have to eat meat without knowing where it has come from and how it was killed?

Also this is very difficult to enforce as most meat from New Zealand is already halal and some muslim takeaways to avoid discrimination have small halal logos on menus. Forcing them to show meat is halal is like forcing jews to wear the start of david
        Hardly. It's just about saying "this is how this meat was killed" and then the consumers can decide if they want to eat it or not.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2014
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.