Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im about to finish year 10 and turn 16 in february. I know i can apply for work then but my school doesnt do work experience anymore so its up to us. is it worth going to get work experience? if so, any recommendations as to places that would look good but accept me?

Also, i have no idea about applying for work. what place would take a 16 year old who hasnt finished their gcse's and has next to no experience?

Im mostly interested in sport (watching), mainly football, and im thinking about going in law for uni. Any responses would help a lot! Dont really have anywhere else to ask. Thanksss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dennis Larvon)
    Im about to finish year 10 and turn 16 in february. I know i can apply for work then but my school doesnt do work experience anymore so its up to us. is it worth going to get work experience? if so, any recommendations as to places that would look good but accept me?

Also, i have no idea about applying for work. what place would take a 16 year old who hasnt finished their gcse's and has next to no experience?

Im mostly interested in sport (watching), mainly football, and im thinking about going in law for uni. Any responses would help a lot! Dont really have anywhere else to ask. Thanksss
    I did work experience in Year 10 (June 2013) and personally, I found that it wasn't that useful so I don't really recommend it unless it's at a good place. I'd wait to get experience until the end of A-Levels which is what I plan to do, because at this age and without any qualifications you can't even get that many good places to get experience with, plus work experience is only 1-2 weeks which isn't even a respectable amount.

I did my one at an architects and found it myself. The way I found it was just by using Google to see all the possible places around and I literally just emailed everywhere until I eventually found a place. Email every possible law firm you can, and I mean EVERYWHERE. Be prepared for a lot of no's, but you will find one eventually.

Just don't do something like working at the tills at a corner shop like many people in my year did, because that's probably the most useless work experience you can get and there's no point wasting your time. I only opted to do work experience because I found an architects which I thought is good work experience - and if it wasn't for finding it I probably wouldn't have done it.

Hope this might help a bit

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot! Do you think that by not doing work experience I could still find some sort of paid work after year 11?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot! Do you think that by not doing work experience I could still find some sort of paid work after year 11?
    Assuming you're not looking to do any full time jobs then yes.

Jobs such as working in shops (which I assume is the type of job you want when you leave Year 11) don't usually ask for experience. Take WHSmiths, Tescos, Greggs and the like for example.

My friend didn't do work experience (she's in my year and we've finished year 11) and she still got a part time job at WHSmiths no problem. You can also count that as experience.

ReputationRep:
    Great! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just doing my work experience this week, working in the family business. I would recommend work experience, even if your school doesn't help to set it up.
    I can't think of many cons of work experience apart from the fact it knocks a week or two off your holidays, but there are loads of benefits- you can
    a) learn new skills such as teamwork, working under pressure, communication skills etc.
    b) get a reference off your employer which may help you get into college, uni or apprenticeships
    c) show your boss the reference at your first job interview and it should encourage them to take you on.
    d) become more confident and it sometimes helps narrow your pathway if you are unsure on what to do in the future- many people find they enjoyed their work experience and want to continue doing the same sort of job later in life
    e) get a taste of the real world. Most places give you a list of responsibilities such as getting there on time, wearing smart clothing- basic things that will help you later on.

Some places have also been known to keep their work experience student on as an actual employee, with a proper wage and job.
    If you're into sport, why not try local football clubs, or even schools? I know lots of people from my year that helped out at our school in the p.e department with the new year sevens coming up.
    Or if you would like to study law, maybe an office type of job would be better?
    Good luck finding places- and don't give up, I think it's a really important part of life that many schools should think about doing again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaLong)
    Good luck finding places- and don't give up, I think it's a really important part of life that many schools should think about doing again
    Important? Hardly, most people just end up being skivvies for the staff or stack shelves the whole time. Not exactly 'experience'. :rolleyes:

Also, absolutely no employers and universities care about what 1/2 week experience you did when you were 14-16.

ReputationRep:
    Most companies look for work experience to see if you have any idea at all of the world of work. They're more likely to choose an applicant with work experience than without, although it depends where you're doing your work experience and how it relates to the job.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Helped a lot!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.