Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To buy or not to buy.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who has a horse and not much cash, how much work is a horse? I'd love one but am worried I won't be able to give it the attention it needs. And how much money would you need to buy a horse, plus the tack, food and bills etc?

ReputationRep:
    Horses are dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle.

ReputationRep:
    :eek:Horses are AWESOME...

ReputationRep:
    Very expensive, hence why they're typically a wealthy persons animal. You do have to be very committed as with most animals. They are a very big 'investment' and I definitely wouldn't advise buying one until you have done a lot of research on care, bills, vets/insurance, stables, dental, equipment (even that's expensive), food, land, lessons, time etc. You're talking thousands in total.. The cost is ongoing.

It's really not a 'to buy or not to buy', you have to be seriously dedicated and have enough money. They're a huge responsibility which you need to think about more.

ReputationRep:
    Well I have actually been researching it for three years and they're not as bad as you may think, but I won't be able to afford one for at least a couple of years.
    In the meantime, I'd like to brush up on my riding- anyone have any ideas of a good stables in kent?

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to do with it?
    What breeds are you interested in?
    Do you know what liveries are available in your area?
    Have you done any horsecare qualifications?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the stupid questions, but, what are the current uses of horses?

I mean, I see so many horses on fields and I can't see the justification due to the costs to these ordinary people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jubz1)
    Sorry for the stupid questions, but, what are the current uses of horses?

I mean, I see so many horses on fields and I can't see the justification due to the costs to these ordinary people.
    If you've ever ridden a horse or entered competitions, you'll understand that horses are intelligent, powerful animals. Horses are used in sport too, and for entertainment (e.g. Racing). Many people have them for companions, and some people breed them... They're also used for ploughing and farm work, although not as much nowadays due to the machinery used. But I see your point- they are madly expensive to keep... Still, I'd say its worth it It's like saying "what are the uses of a Lamborghini". To me a cars just a car, but horses are different...

ReputationRep:
    If you're worried about it not getting enough attention due to work/family commitments why not try and find a part loaner? I part loan a lovely horse and the owner doesn't give her love and cuddles etc. he is very strict and stern with her but I love pampering her 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dont buy, if you dont have a lot of time nor money. Horses take a lot of work and there is no point in buying one if you cnat look after it properly. Horses are family and can get extremely lonely so just think about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.