Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will my depression/anxiety effect my chances of becoming a mental health nurse? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if the fact I have depression and anxiety will effect my chances of becoming a mental health nurse? Anyone have any info?

Any replies appreciated
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mel1215)
    Just wondering if the fact I have depression and anxiety will effect my chances of becoming a mental health nurse? Anyone have any info?

Any replies appreciated
    I have a friend who is suffering from anxiety and depression and they are working in mental health. They have been given lots of support from their employer (it isn't the NHS but a private hospital). They were diagnosed a long time before they applied too, so I'm sure it came up during the vetting.

Having said that, I think it depends on a variety of factors - the severity of the depression/anxiety, how mentally stable you are, whether you are having counselling etc. Probably a lot of other factors.

I think the key is just to show that you are trying to help yourself - attending groups/counselling and making life changes to try (easier said than done, I know) and eliminate the cause.

Hope you feel better soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AWSLC)
    I have a friend who is suffering from anxiety and depression and they are working in mental health. They have been given lots of support from their employer (it isn't the NHS but a private hospital). They were diagnosed a long time before they applied too, so I'm sure it came up during the vetting.

Having said that, I think it depends on a variety of factors - the severity of the depression/anxiety, how mentally stable you are, whether you are having counselling etc. Probably a lot of other factors.

I think the key is just to show that you are trying to help yourself - attending groups/counselling and making life changes to try (easier said than done, I know) and eliminate the cause.

Hope you feel better soon!
    I'm already on medication and attending regular counselling sessions, just wondering if a university would ask or be unwilling to accept me based on that. I'm just going through a rough patch at the minute this hasn't been a long-term struggle for me, I hope it doesn't effect my chances. Thanks for replying
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mel1215)
    I'm already on medication and attending regular counselling sessions, just wondering if a university would ask or be unwilling to accept me based on that. I'm just going through a rough patch at the minute this hasn't been a long-term struggle for me, I hope it doesn't effect my chances. Thanks for replying
    That all sounds promising then!

Depending on the course, some of them ask to have access to medical history, and you'll probably have to have an interview about it... but there's no reason why it should affect your chance of being accepted - as long as you can show you're doing everything within your power to help yourself.

I suffered from depression for two years or so while at university, and it really got me down. I managed to distract myself in work for the majority of the time but in quiet periods it was a bit overwhelming. It was really difficult but I managed to identify and work out a way to address the cause of the problem, which really helped!

ReputationRep:
    Get it from the horse's mouth! The Nursing and Midwifery Council defines good health as :
    Good health is necessary to undertake practice as a nurse or midwife. Good health means that you must be capable of safe and effective practice without supervision. It does not mean the absence of any disability or health condition. Many disabled people and those with health conditions are able to practise with or without adjustments to support their practice.

Employers (in theory) and universities are not allowed to discriminate on health conditions. My local mental health trust has a well-advertised policy to support employees affected by mental ill-health. As for the universities, they should offer a support service for people affected by long-term conditions, and in any case this should be one of the criteria on which you choose the universities you apply to.
    When I enrolled for my access course at uni, I decided to tick the "do you suffer from a mental health condition" box, and this gave me access to a whole range of support.
    And the silver lining: when you apply to university for MH nursing, you have to demonstrate in your statement your experience in and interest for mental health, so that definitely will put you in a good stead. The same apply for the work-place, MH services are quite keen to recruit people who have a personal experience of mental illness, as it does help to empathise with the service users/patients.
    Go for it and best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flower4Power)
    The same apply for the work-place, MH services are quite keen to recruit people who have a personal experience of mental illness, as it does help to empathise with the service users/patients.
    Go for it and best of luck.
    Couldn't agree more.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a long term sufferer of mental health issues and I've had no problem with getting into my course (mental health nursing at Oxford Brookes). I've been provided with a lot of help and support from disability services at the uni and occupational therapy, and everything seems to be going smoothly for my September start. Im still medicated and have had a few different therapy groups/ doctors referred to me for when I start.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.