Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I'm going to apply this year for Medicine and I've been dreaming of going to med school for ages.

However, I'm not from UK (Russia, actually), and I'd really appreciate if someone could evaluate my academic achievements and my chances of getting an offer.

I will only do BMAT and apply to Oxford and Imperial.

At my school, I've been doing quite well and I go to a very good and renown school:

As in Bio, Chem, Geography, Geometry, Calculus, Computer science, Social sciences, History, English language, Russian language, Russian literature, PE;

Bs in Physics and Algebra.

I have also done the SATs this year and received

800 in Chem, Math II and French;

700 in Bio E.

At school, I've participated in different activities including doing a project on LGBT rights and creating study-aid software for our inorganic chem course. This year, I will be helping 11-13 yo children to study math (being a teacher's assistant during my school's free evening lessons).

As for the extracurricular activities, I study French (B2/C1 level) and swim.

Regarding my working experience, I don't have much because it's very hard to get some in Russia if you're a minor. However, I worked as a nurse's assistant for 2 weeks this June and will work for another 2 weeks in August if I'm lucky.

I'am also going to study at ORA the Medical School Prep cource for two weeks in July.

As for English language, I've got A in CPE.

So, what do you think? How can I enhance my application?

Many thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evazilber57)
    Hi everyone!

I'm going to apply this year for Medicine and I've been dreaming of going to med school for ages.

However, I'm not from UK (Russia, actually), and I'd really appreciate if someone could evaluate my academic achievements and my chances of getting an offer.

I will only do BMAT and apply to Oxford and Imperial.

At my school, I've been doing quite well and I go to a very good and renown school:

As in Bio, Chem, Geography, Geometry, Calculus, Computer science, Social sciences, History, English language, Russian language, Russian literature, PE;

Bs in Physics and Algebra.

I have also done the SATs this year and received

800 in Chem, Math II and French;

700 in Bio E.

At school, I've participated in different activities including doing a project on LGBT rights and creating study-aid software for our inorganic chem course. This year, I will be helping 11-13 yo children to study math (being a teacher's assistant during my school's free evening lessons).

As for the extracurricular activities, I study French (B2/C1 level) and swim.

Regarding my working experience, I don't have much because it's very hard to get some in Russia if you're a minor. However, I worked as a nurse's assistant for 2 weeks this June and will work for another 2 weeks in August if I'm lucky.

I'am also going to study at ORA the Medical School Prep cource for two weeks in July.

As for English language, I've got A in CPE.

So, what do you think? How can I enhance my application?

Many thanks in advance
    Are those your GCSE scores? Or just internal exams? What exam are you taking, IB or A2? Kind of depends on the A2 / IB for Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A Russian high school certificate is not considered sufficient for entering a university in the UK. You will either need to take A-levels/IB or complete 1 year of university in Russia (or elsewhere). Read the international entry requirements on the universities' websites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilepeople)
    Are those your GCSE scores? Or just internal exams? What exam are you taking, IB or A2? Kind of depends on the A2 / IB for Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, not GCSE, just internals. As for the finals, I've sat SATs and I'm taking APs as A-level equivalent

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mindlesss)
    A Russian high school certificate is not considered sufficient for entering a university in the UK. You will either need to take A-levels/IB or complete 1 year of university in Russia (or elsewhere). Read the international entry requirements on the universities' websites.
    I know but I'm taking American exams that many unis accept as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.