Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best Uni for Pharmacy Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can anyone tell me what the MPharm course is like at these unis and what the area is like as I'm trying to decide on which unis have the best course but also want to live somewhere lively too:
    Aston, Bath, Brighton, Keele, UEA, Reading and Kings College

also what was your first week/ freshers like?

thanks for any info!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's any one uni that's the 'best' for everyone, people want a lot of different things from the course and other factors about the uni are important too, to do well in your course you need to be happy with the actual uni. You can look at league tables but be careful because some take 'entry standards' into account, so the uni's that tend to give our high offers (AAB for example) are placed higher up league tables but personally I think that's completely irrelevant

Keele is massively underrated in my opinion, I'd of loved to go there but if you're wanting the best course in the country and somewhere lively I don't really think Keele is for you. The Pharmacy facilities are amazing, they'll show you the kave at the open day but at the interview i got to see even more like the labs which looked really new and modern. I come from a village though and I'd of been quite happy to stay in a quiet uni in the middle of no where, it's definitely not everyone's scene though, as a uni it's got one of the largest campuses but smallest number of students and it is really in the middle of no where

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omgyelhsa)
    Hi, can anyone tell me what the MPharm course is like at these unis and what the area is like as I'm trying to decide on which unis have the best course but also want to live somewhere lively too:
    Aston, Bath, Brighton, Keele, UEA, Reading and Kings College

also what was your first week/ freshers like?

thanks for any info!
    Brighton has recently changed its core course structure - have a look at the attached PDF file on pp. 5-8 to see how they've designed the new course.

Having spoken to current students on the previous course structure, they think our new course is much better and more mentally stimulating - we covered some of the stuff in our 1st year that students on the previous course structure covered in their 2nd and 3rd years.

The night life for Brighton is amazing too; lots of stuff to do / places to go!
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdfMPharm (Hons) Student Handbook.pdf (430.0 KB, 645 views)

ReputationRep:
    UEA or go nothing.

But on an honest note, demetria is right in my opinion, no uni for Pharmacy is "best". When I was choosing, I admittedly checked out UEA because it was so high on the guardian pharmacy league table (second in 2011, with dundee at number 1, but I personally didn't want to go that far from home)

Anyway, I checked out portsmouth, medway, UEA, Brighton, all of them had their qualities, but I wouldn't recommend choosing a degree based on the tables, worry about having a good time there, you're at this this for 4 years, no point going to somewhere with a slightly better mass spec machine if the student scene is pants.

Plus, A MPHA is an MPHA regardless of where you get it (Well, I imagine, it's probably a good idea to check the employment statistics on the league table to get an idea about pre-reg chances) so decide on what you want.

Do you want a campus or city uni is probably the biggest divide with this Pharmacy flow chart, then think about grade requirements, then just go to the campus! You'll know when you find the right place.

Would I recommend UEA? 100x yes. The course is great. But what's made my university experience so great has been the university as a whole, and for many people, they may not like UEA's concrete labrynth (Love or hate thing, if you can't tell i'm in the love section)

"also what was your first week/ freshers like?"

My freshers week was amazing, specifically to Pharmacy they have 2 events that happen outside of lectures and introduction to labs etc which are more social. The first is meeting your academic advisor for the first time (you'll share them with about 4-5 people in your year), you then go for a curry with your advisor, and the other students they "advise".

You also get a buddy (which the society deal with
    ) Where you get paired with older students.

The events are so much fun. T-shirt party is my personal fav, and zane lowe is insanely good (plays every year)

The nightlife in Norwich is surprisingly good, although I can't compare to other universities, and obviously places like will be a lot of fun!

Sorry for the wall of text but I hope i've helped.

Andy

ReputationRep:
    Hi there im a 3rd year MPharm student at Aston university, if you need help or advice feel free to pm me.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look here. You can read about the universities rated highest for the subject you want to study and narrow down your options to the ones you feel would be best for you http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...y+%26+Pharmacy

ReputationRep:
    UEA. UEA. UEA.

I may be slightly bias...

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends is going
    UCL to do pharmacy and is arrogant about it, Is it better than UEA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slim Shady 96)
    One of my friends is going
    UCL to do pharmacy and is arrogant about it, Is it better than UEA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    According to league tables no.

According to reality, it doesn't really matter as someone said before and MPharm is an MPharm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    According to league tables no.

According to reality, it doesn't really matter as someone said before and MPharm is an MPharm.
    I checked the average salary for it on which uni and it was 20k and she was saying she'll get paid loads?? I doubt she'll get paid loads unless she goes on to further study

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I checked the average salary for it on which uni and it was 20k and she was saying she'll get paid loads?? I doubt she'll get paid loads unless she goes on to further study

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If she decides to stay and work in London she'll get paid slightly more than the rest of the UK but that's because it's London and it will be off-set by the cost of living.

It depends what here definition of loads is.

I mean some people would consider £20k a year loads others a £100k, and others a million.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    If she decides to stay and work in London she'll get paid slightly more than the rest of the UK but that's because it's London and it will be off-set by the cost of living.

It depends what here definition of loads is.

I mean some people would consider £20k a year loads others a £100k, and others a million.
    Yeah I told her I'm doing economics and will probably get paid more than her and she was like no way?? If I go ucl to do economics surely there's more chances that I'll get paid more than her (average there is 32k) she just can't accept it and it annoys me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I told her I'm doing economics and will probably get paid more than her and she was like no way?? If I go ucl to do economics surely there's more chances that I'll get paid more than her (average there is 32k) she just can't accept it and it annoys me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah you will probably get paid more than her, starting salary wise anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    X
    Thanks for the pdf! Do you find it hard to balance work with recreational activities and whats your timetable like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UEAPharmSociety)
    X
    Thank you and no need to apologise, you've been very helpful! Is your buddy meant to mentor you or something? Also at UEA are there loads of long lectures and early starts and do you get to work alongside other healthcare students (e.g. med...forgot what the phrase for this type of teaching is )

ReputationRep:
    Thank you and no need to apologise, you've been very helpful! Is your buddy meant to mentor you or something? Also at UEA are there loads of long lectures and early starts and do you get to work alongside other healthcare students (e.g. med...forgot what the phrase for this type of teaching is )
    Sorry for butting in, I've just finished first year pharmacy at UEA and moving on to second year so I think I can answer your questions.

Your buddy is suppose to be an older student you can go to for help, but in my experience and friends some mentors don't really help you much other than just showing up for the initial meeting for esteem (There's a part of the course where you have to create a portfolio of professional development, a part of this is esteem which is going above and beyond the basics of the course things such as being a mentor gets you extra points and therefore higher marks in the portfolio). It depends entirely on your mentor some really help, and stay in contact with you via Facebook, mobile etc.. Others couldn't care less so just depends who you get. Pot luck.

Yes it's mainly lectures if I remember correctly Monday to Thursday was 9am starts and Friday started at 11/12. Wednesdays a half day and Monday is like a 9-6, but you get every other Monday off. It's mainly lecture based but there is PBL and labs, but the vast majority of it is lectures.

Yes there is a thing call IPL (Inter professional learning) where you work on a group task with other healthcare professionals such as nursing students, med students, physic student etc..However this literally consists of a short one hour session. And there is only one in the year so it's not much.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the pdf! Do you find it hard to balance work with recreational activities and whats your timetable like?
    Hey, no worries! Hope you found it useful

The timetable was very nice in our first year: I had 10 hours of lectures (Wednesday 11-1, Thursday 9-11, Thursday 1-3, Friday 11-1, and Friday 3-5), plus 3 hours of lab/workshop (Monday 2-5) per week.

This meant that I could have a lie in on most days, only 1 x 9 am start, and had the whole of Tuesday off!

Have a look at the lecture timetable (Page 2) and synopsis (Page 3) in the case handbook for the Pain case, which lasted about 2.5 weeks as soon as we returned from Christmas holidays.
    Attached Files
  2. File Type: docxCase Handbook.docx (569.1 KB, 121 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    x
    Thanks for the info and no problem! Is the buddy always someone on your course? I hope I get a helpful one if I go to UEA! Did you find it hard to focus in long lectures and How was the IPL session?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info and no problem! Is the buddy always someone on your course? I hope I get a helpful one if I go to UEA! Did you find it hard to focus in long lectures and How was the IPL session?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes you don't have one buddy you have 2/3. So in my buddy group there was me and another person from first year pharmacy a second year pharmacy student, a third year pharmacy student, and a final year pharmacy student.

I found it hard to focus in short lectures. I use to just play games all lectures and hoped some bits went in. I'm not a lecture type learner, I learn better when I'm studying myself and I work it out and understand it for myself. Some people record the lectures so they can play it back, so if you can't focus you can always do that.

The IPL session was okay, again it depends on the group of people your with, you do problem solving exercises that teach you how to work in a team and you observe and criticise a video of an actual IPL team in a hospital. I personally thought it was a bit useless and therefore got pretty bored but others really enjoyed it.

What universities are you considering if you don't mind me asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    x (
    It was and Thank you again for the resource! Wow your timetable is great compared to others I've seen! Was there lots of work you had to do outside of lectures though? Do you often get scenarios like the pain case to solve?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.