Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Writing a personal statement to fit Medicine AND Physiotherapy Watch

ReputationRep:
    How bad would it be if my personal statement was more oriented towards medicine, especially if I wanted to apply to somewhere like Nottingham where its like 1,100 applicants for 50 places

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm a physiotherapy student going into my second year and as someone who went through the gruelling process of making a ucas application, I don't think they will be impressed. Thing is, universities don't care much about your grades (the number of lecturers who have told me this!) it just shows that you have the academic ability to study the material of the course, hence the personal statement which shows you have the ability to succeed in all aspects of the course. Universities want to make sure that you are not going to drop out or fail the course because you lack an interest in it so if you are focusing your personal statement towards medicine, then what does that tell them?
    Imagine the other way around: you apply to medicine with a personal statement orientated towards physiotherapy...Physiotherapy is actually a very competitive course despite what many people think especially at a sought out university like Nottingham with so many applicants yet very few spaces and not many universities offer it. It is also not a course that many failed medical school applicants easily get into contrary to the belief! There are 70 people in my year and not one of them had physiotherapy as their second option to medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanielG)
    How bad would it be if my personal statement was more oriented towards medicine, especially if I wanted to apply to somewhere like Nottingham where its like 1,100 applicants for 50 places
    I am no expert, but I don't think they would like that. I know someone who had a question in their interview which was, why physiotherapy and not medicine.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    This is a terrible idea.

Both subjects have more than enough applications from applicants 100% committed to that degree/career. Both regularly interview and both reject a lot of applicants based on the PS to minimise the number of interviews.

I'm afraid if you want a chance to do either you'll need to decide and go for that pathway completely.

ReputationRep:
    Its common for Meds to apply for a different subject since you can only have 4 medicine applications. In your case, it may be worthy to email your Physio uni and enquire about your situation. For now, just stick with a medicine PS like everybody else.

Depends on how you feel about your application, but go for it if its something you feel very interested in - May also be worth looking into some biomed courses which may let you bounce into medicine after 1st year

(Loads of med applicants usually forget about their 5th choice if they end up getting no offers anyways)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    This is a terrible idea.

Both subjects have more than enough applications from applicants 100% committed to that degree/career. Both regularly interview and both reject a lot of applicants based on the PS to minimise the number of interviews.

I'm afraid if you want a chance to do either you'll need to decide and go for that pathway completely.
    This. Doing anything else guarantees no offers at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.