Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best guy friend admitted he thinks he has feelings for me.... Watch

So my best guy friend just admitted he thinks he has feelings for me. I'm panicking a little, every time someone has said this it has wrecked our friendship. He knows I don't have feelings for him but I don't want this to destroy how close we are. What should I do?!

ReputationRep:
    If you have no feelings for him just be honest. Distant yourself for a week or two for him to understand that and gather his thoughts. Also try without acting weird to maybe not be too "friendly" boys sometimes mistake this for flirting.
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Just speak as usual friends with him. You definitely need time to think for it. Till then just be normal friends.

(Original post by Anonymous)
      So my best guy friend just admitted he thinks he has feelings for me. I'm panicking a little, every time someone has said this it has wrecked our friendship. He knows I don't have feelings for him but I don't want this to destroy how close we are. What should I do?!
      Since he was so honest with you, I think you should do the same. Tell him you don't have feelings for him and you don't want to lose him as a friend. And together come up with a way to move past this... I don't think you should necessarily distance yourself unless he says he needs that space. Distancing yourself might make him feel rejected twice and he'll most probably regret saying anything... but I'm just guessing. Best thing is to speak to him about it be sensitive, but not patronising. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
      Just act the same as you did before with him

ReputationRep:
      If you care about him, you need to stop being friends with him (if he is too attached to take this decision himself). He isn't really your friend now -- it's simply the second best option that allows him to keep a glimmer of hope intact.

ReputationRep:
      He probably wouldn't be as good a friend to you if he didn't fancy you, so yeah, might as well end this charade and tell him you're not interested.

He knows that I don't feel the same way and I've made this clear when people were telling us we would be good together.

Also to make the situation worse I recently broke up with his brother... Like 5 days ago!

ReputationRep:
      your friendship is done.
      you can no longer be friends

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.