Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask a Muslim who is questioning his faith anything Watch

ReputationRep:
    Bit of background.

Come from a very strict ultra-conservative south Asian Muslim family
    I've memorised the the Qur'an cover to cover
    I'm 19 living away from home term-time (currently at home - fasting)
    Abstain from pork, ham and alcohol and only eat halal meat.
    Do have a non-Muslim girlfriend
    Pray and fast regularly

Anyway got to go away for a bit so I'll answer the questions when I get back.

ReputationRep:
    Have you spilled the beans yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exon)
    What beans?

ReputationRep:
    What are you going to eat for suhoor?

ReputationRep:
    Has your girlfriend met your family

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Bit of background.

Come from a very strict ultra-conservative south Asian Muslim family
    I've memorised the the Qur'an cover to cover
    I'm 19 living away from home term-time (currently at home - fasting)
    Abstain from pork, ham and alcohol and only eat halal meat.
    Do have a non-Muslim girlfriend
    Pray and fast regularly

Anyway got to go away for a bit so I'll answer the questions when I get back.

Thanks for doing the AMA

First question from me is,

What has made you question your faith?

ReputationRep:
    What do you think your parents and siblings would do if they found out you were an apostate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exon)
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    What do you think your parents and siblings would do if they found out you were an apostate?

He said he's questioning his faith, he hasn't abandoned it yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ¯\(°_o)/¯)

He said he's questioning his faith, he hasn't abandoned it yet.
    Was talking about his girlfriend, not his faith.

ReputationRep:
    in b4 exile from the family home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exon)
    Was talking about his girlfriend, not his faith.
    Now your question reads like sexual innuendo

"Have you spilled the beans [into her] yet?"

ReputationRep:
    Why do you have a gf and a non-muslim one at that?

Would you say that you've started to "question" your faith when you left home OR were the doubts present much earlier?

How do you feel about the punishment of death for someone who leaves the religion?

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been questioning your faith for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SincereSoul)
    What are you going to eat for suhoor?
    3 scoops of whey, 100g oats, 3 eggs and some OJ maybe a croissant as well but I think I had the last one yesterday.

(Original post by letsbehonest)
    Has your girlfriend met your family
    No, it's still early days in the relationship. And relationships isn't really something I discuss with my family. I have a more formal relationship with my family than most.

(Original post by ¯\(°_o)/¯)
    Thanks for doing the AMA

First question from me is,

What has made you question your faith?
    No problem. Just little things here and there, evolution seems pretty strong explanations for our origins, the religions stance on things such as gays and apostates, the double standards of religious people (well Muslims that I know, not just normal muslims but people such as Imams I know). The fact that I'm always unlucky and fate seems to hand me **** cards all the time despite me being as strong Muslims as I can be, praying regularly abstaining from that which is forbidden or frowned upon, and some more things that don't spring to mind at the moment but will add later when they do.

(Original post by Alfissti)
    I'm not an apostate. I said I'm questioning my faith, as someone also said before.

ReputationRep:
    I'm similar to you, as in not really sure how I feel about religion anymore but still abstain from pork etc, which is why I personally wouldn't feel comfortable in a relationship with someone who does eat pork and drink. Do you find it comfortable being with a non Muslim and do you find it difficult to abstain from things like drinking if she does it around you a lot?

ReputationRep:
    Why are you fasting? Is it because your family expects you to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    3 scoops of whey, 100g oats, 3 eggs and some OJ maybe a croissant as well but I think I had the last one yesterday.

No, it's still early days in the relationship. And relationships isn't really something I discuss with my family. I have a more formal relationship with my family than most.

No problem. Just little things here and there, evolution seems pretty strong explanations for our origins, the religions stance on things such as gays and apostates, the double standards of religious people (well Muslims that I know, not just normal muslims but people such as Imams I know). The fact that I'm always unlucky and fate seems to hand me **** cards all the time despite me being as strong Muslims as I can be, praying regularly abstaining from that which is forbidden or frowned upon, and some more things that don't spring to mind at the moment but will add later when they do.

I'm not an apostate. I said I'm questioning my faith, as someone also said before.

Salam Brother,
    Have you considered watching lectures, there are lots that cover areas such as evolution. You should watch people like Nouman Ali Khan and Hamza Tzortzis. It could help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky Mark)
    Why do you have a gf and a non-muslim one at that?

Would you say that you've started to "question" your faith when you left home OR were the doubts present much earlier?

How do you feel about the punishment of death for someone who leaves the religion?
    I honestly don't know it kind of just happened. I don't drink at university and essentially everyone in my flat besides her did so we ended up spending more and more time together whilst our flatmates went out.

The doubts were present much earlier I think. I've always been pretty scientific with a strong interest in human biology so things such as evolution always fascinated me.

I think that's pretty harsh, essentially a if you're in you are in forever, you can't leave. Which doesn't really fit in with the God gives you free will to test you.

(Original post by C380)
    How long have you been questioning your faith for?
    A few years but recently it has been growing in strength. It probably started around GCSE time when I started doing further reading into my religion which stemmed from me just wanting to know a bit of my family history. I wanted to know why, how and when my family became Muslim as they are from India which the majority religion is Hinduism. I came across the Deobandi sect and just did more and more reading into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    I'm similar to you, as in not really sure how I feel about religion anymore but still abstain from pork etc, which is why I personally wouldn't feel comfortable in a relationship with someone who does eat pork and drink. Do you find it comfortable being with a non Muslim and do you find it difficult to abstain from things like drinking if she does it around you a lot?
    She doesn't drink so that's not really an issue. And she is quiet considerate when she is around me, so doesn't eat pork/ham etc when she's with me. She has some family that is Muslim so she knows a bit about Islam too, so she understands a bit more than the average Joe.

(Original post by letsbehonest)
    Why are you fasting? Is it because your family expects you to?
    Although I'm questioning my faith, I still pray daily and perform the compulsory things such as fasting, charity etc because I find it helps me kind of get away from things when I get stressed or am having a long day, it kind of helps put things into perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fahmida98)
    Salam Brother,
    Have you considered watching lectures, there are lots that cover areas such as evolution. You should watch people like Nouman Ali Khan and Hamza Tzortzis. It could help
    No I'll watch them tomorrow. I've been watching a few lectures by sheikh Hassan Ali and to be honest a lot makes sense but at the same time he knows how to talk very convincingly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.