Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm hideous in photos Watch

I would think of myself as a fairly average looking person; not stunning but not hideous either. I have been checked out a few times and I do have good days when I look better than ususal.
    However, whenever a photo is taken of me, I end up looking horrifically bad. Like really, really ugly. It's got so bad that it's had a really hard knock on my confidence, to the point where I'm too ashamed to even be interested in a guy because I've started thinking of myself as this hideous, whale-like creature. That is what my photos show, after all.

Am I just kidding myself into thinking I'm more attractive than I am? Am I really as hideous as my photos make me out to be?

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly average looking and I hate seeing photos of myself, too. People like what they are familiar with, and we are familiar with how our face looks in the mirror. A photo doesn't give a mirror image and will show us from angles we are not used to, which is why we tend to think we look worse than we actually do. Almost everyone hates seeing their profile, for example.

Or maybe we are hideous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Am I just kidding myself into thinking I'm more attractive than I am? Am I really as hideous as my photos make me out to be?
    How could anyone answer this without seeing you both in real life and in photos..

(Original post by Reue)
    How could anyone answer this without seeing you both in real life and in photos..
    Ignore the question then? I was hoping to see if this is a common issue amongst others, or whether I really am hideous.

I feel the same OP, I think its because of my smile though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same as you OP, when it comes to photos you have to learn what angles are best for you. You must remember photos are 2D and so it can be difficult for photos to come out right but that doesn't make you ugly.

ReputationRep:
    No one can give you an proper answer if they cannot see you as we cannot see what you define as "hideous".

I hate myself in photos and avoid being in them but I think I look okay.. Don't stress over it.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I tend to think I look better in the mirror than on photos. That is why when someone takes a photo of me in a group, my first thought it "is that me".

I don't think I look attractive sometimes but then there's this one girl who I like but has a boyfriend that tells my friends that she thinks I'm cute and good-looking which takes me by surprise.

ReputationRep:
    Photos are a 2D representation. Some people look amazing in photos and average in person and vice versa. I always pull a stupid face in photos and just generally look stupid. I Know however I don't look like that, as several people I've met from online have said "you look really different in person".

Some people just take crap photos. I freeze when I know a camera is on me lol which is what I think does it

ReputationRep:
    Are you overweight or carrying too much body fat?
    While double chins and chubby faces/necks can be hidden by a good angle or pouting (girls), more candid photos will exaggerate them and cause the bloated and dehydrated look.
    It's almost impossible to look good in the majority of pictures when carrying too much body fat.

If not, then you may just be unfortunate enough to be un-photogenic, and short of posing whenever there may be cameras around, there's not much you can do.
    Maybe raise your tongue to the palette as you smile (with minimal teeth) and squint your eyes.
    - Seriously, the worst thing someone can do is grin from ear to ear with loads of visible teeth and open their eyes wide.

For candid pictures, it's down largely to body fat.

Anyway, the majority of people look better in motion than they do in pictures. So chances are you don't look as bad as you worry you do.

PS: Regardless, it's a much better situation to be in than too look much better in photos. After all, people will see you in motion.
    PPS: It's also a reverse image to what one sees everyday in the mirror - thus it's odd to one's eye.
    PPPS: Everyone judges their pictures critically. Very rarely do people find us as hideous in our pictures as we do ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the question then? I was hoping to see if this is a common issue amongst others, or whether I really am hideous.
    Nope, I have this problem as well. I also can't for the life of me give a convincing natural smile on cue.

I also try to avoid looking at reflections of my face when outside lest I get a sudden drop in self confidence :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Try a good camera

ReputationRep:
    I'm relatively attractive but, in the words of my partner 'I'm so ****ing glad you aren't horrific looking like you are in photographs'

So it isn't just you.

ReputationRep:
    pics pls

ReputationRep:
    Complains about being hideous in photos;

Doesn't post any..

ReputationRep:
    I hate pics being taken of me so i havent got smapchat, instagram or facebook.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm the exact same, I don't have any photos of me (not even on Facebook), and only a small minority of people I know have ever seen my photo, and those are the people I have a close friendship with.

I either get the impression there's something wrong with my clothes, hair, or smile.. it isn't me in the photo on here btw (it was from a GIF that I found)

I would think of myself as a fairly average looking person; not stunning but not hideous either. I have been checked out a few times and I do have good days when I look better than ususal.
    However, whenever a photo is taken of me, I end up looking horrifically bad. Like really, really ugly. It's got so bad that it's had a really hard knock on my confidence, to the point where I'm too ashamed to even be interested in a guy because I've started thinking of myself as this hideous, whale-like creature. That is what my photos show, after all.

ReputationRep:

Tried eating less?

ReputationRep:
    90% of my photos are awful, especially when they are taken by a digital camera. Analog pics of me, however, tend to work quite well.

And there's another thing, you probably have a face that doesn't work well with the common focal lenght found in the average lenses (normally 28-35 mm), so you have to try out lenses with different focal lenghts in different distances to see which one captures your face better.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same, a lot of people tell me I look way better in real life than I do in photographs. It's all to do with angles, in pictures people just see you from one specific angle but in real life people see you from all angles, and I guess this works for some and is a huge disadvantage for others.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.