The Student Room Group

Electrical Engineering Software

Hi, I'm going to be starting this course and I'm just wondering if anyone who is currently studying it could give me an idea of the software that is used. I ask this as I'm buying a laptop and am wondering about the size of the hard drive and the OS I need. Thanks
Reply 1
OrCAD, Visual Studio, MATLAB etc. You could complete the degree with a Chromebook if you really wanted. Any hardware will do.
Original post by ahpadt
OrCAD, Visual Studio, MATLAB etc. You could complete the degree with a Chromebook if you really wanted. Any hardware will do.

This. In fact chromebooks seems to be very popular for elec eng students.

Just get any old laptop, honestly you don't need anything special. Most of the time the software you use will be on uni PCs plus most unis provide remote desktop connect to their system.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Do not forget LTSpice for simulations, which does not require a powerful laptop.
Additionally, I use DipTrace for the creation of schematics and PCBs. I do totally recommend this one since it has a great components library with real suppliers information about their dimensions included (great info for PCBs stage). Although it is a pretty expensive software, there is free version available with 300 pins, great for smaller projects.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest