Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cutting your girlfriend's name on your wrist Watch

ReputationRep:
    Before you all jump to conclusions and start shouting how creeped out the girl would be, I want to know from ex-self harmers how would you feel if you were in the following situation towards this person:

You are a self harmer, you cut because it relieves you from your emotional pain, one day you meet Person V who you start chatting daily with. Person V starts building trust and cares alot about you. Upon knowing that you self harm, he is disgusted and weans you off doing it slowly. Years later, your life is much brighter and you're in a better place, you realise though that Person V loves you but you don't like him in that way. Person V is shattered to learn that you don't reciprocate the same feelings. Person V starts self harming himself because he is depressed, one day after long bouts of emotional chats of his feelings, he sends you a picture of your name etched on his wrist by his self harming.

How would you react?

ReputationRep:
    Stupid Romeo

ReputationRep:
    Encourage him to get therapy

ReputationRep:
    To me, it would be like tattooing someones name. And everyone knows what they say about tattooing gf/bf names onto yourself...

ReputationRep:
    A girl at my school cut her boyfriends name into her wrist, many boyfriends later the scar is still there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaDog0127)
    To me, it would be like tattooing someones name. And everyone knows what they say about tattooing gf/bf names onto yourself...
    What do 'they' say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekota-XS)
    What do 'they' say?
    That it wasn't a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt, because it wont be fair for the other girlfriends you will get in life cuz imagine how painful it will be for them to see your ex's name on your wrist.

ReputationRep:
    Part of me would think Person V was a bit of a hypocrite, given that he was disgusted by my own self-harming and tried to get me to stop. But I would also feel concerned that my previous self-harming had somehow influenced him or perhaps even triggered an old self-harming habit. Maybe he acted as if he was disgusted because he's been trying to deal with self-harming issues himself and didn't want to be reminded of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kåte)
    Part of me would think Person V was a bit of a hypocrite, given that he was disgusted by my own self-harming and tried to get me to stop. But I would also feel concerned that my previous self-harming had somehow influenced him or perhaps even triggered an old self-harming habit. Maybe he acted as if he was disgusted because he's been trying to deal with self-harming issues himself and didn't want to be reminded of it?
    Thanks for reading and addressing the situation. Having found out that he has took to self harm and given that you want to move on in life and make something of your career and in order to do so, you've been blocking him out of your life, would you suddenly decide to dedicate some time into talking the person out of it?

I'm sure its not only depressed people who self harm, it would be surprising to know that the happiest people we know could be self harming within confides. I think it's more widespread than people believe.

ReputationRep:
    To help him get back on track like the first person did.

ReputationRep:
    what the hell this guy has serious issues, i'd run for it

ReputationRep:
    I though you were the self-harmer, and not person V? I don't think you can transmit self-harm as an illness, so I find it really strange that a person would randomly become a self-harmer through merely falling in love with another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Encourage him to get therapy
    Therapy on how not to be a jerk, take revenge and emotionally manipulate people? No worse than 'omg I'm gonna kill myself' guys.

OP: I'd cut all contact, realising he's a manipulative jerk and expected sexual payment for his 'niceness'

ReputationRep:
    Don't etch anything onto your skin, for anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Therapy on how not to be a jerk, take revenge and emotionally manipulate people? No worse than 'omg I'm gonna kill myself' guys.

OP: I'd cut all contact, realising he's a manipulative jerk and expected sexual payment for his 'niceness'
    If someone is going to go that far quite clearly they have issues.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I would probably just be like:
    "Dude, you shouldn't be doing something stupid and painful like that, now that you've done that, it's going to be on there for months until it heals, and you'll probably feel embarrassed about it after time. Please, please, if you love me (lol) go to seek professional advice because that's not right "

:nothing:

ReputationRep:
    Cute <3

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.