Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Medical/science side of TSR - can spray tans cause cancer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I get spray tanned once a week. I always thought this was safer than sunbathing or using a sunbed but I read an article that said the DHA can get into the blood stream and cause cancer. Well, it said "has the potential as we suspect" which sounds like they're guessing

does anyone know if this is true? Or just scaremongering?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    I get spray tanned once a week. I always thought this was safer than sunbathing or using a sunbed but I read an article that said the DHA can get into the blood stream and cause cancer. Well, it said "has the potential as we suspect" which sounds like they're guessing

does anyone know if this is true? Or just scaremongering?
    According to an article I've seen it suggests that DHA is inhaled when you spray it, which could possibly cause cancer. Of course it doesn't necessarily cause it, but it may increase the risk. There are so many risk factors associated with cancer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth)
    According to an article I've seen it suggests that DHA is inhaled when you spray it, which could possibly cause cancer. Of course it doesn't necessarily cause it, but it may increase the risk. There are so many risk factors associated with cancer.
    Yeah that's what I've seen too. If that were true, wouldn't we see much higher cancer rates in celebs and dancers and other people who get regular spray tans though?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Yeah that's what I've seen too. If that were true, wouldn't we see much higher cancer rates in celebs and dancers and other people who get regular spray tans though?
    Sometimes newspapers report on studies that have only been studied on a tiny sample of people. Plus it's so difficult to actually say what caused cancer in the first place - those that were studied may have lead a certain lifestyle that increased their risk as well.

FYI in your signature the story of your family member (I'm assuming?) is very inspirational

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes newspapers report on studies that have only been studied on a tiny sample of people. Plus it's so difficult to actually say what caused cancer in the first place - those that were studied may have lead a certain lifestyle that increased their risk as well.

FYI in your signature the story of your family member (I'm assuming?) is very inspirational

Yeah that's why I'm not sure whether it's legit or just scare mongering. I asked a nurse about it and she said she'd never heard of it.

Yeah, my aunt Thank you. She's not well at the moment, she's had a PE
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Yeah that's why I'm not sure whether it's legit or just scare mongering. I asked a nurse about it and she said she'd never heard of it.

I'd imagine (although I may be wrong) that spray tanning is still much safer than the sun and sun beds.

Oh no that's awful. I hope that she recovers from that. I know from many members of my family how horrible it can be to see someone go through that.

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine (although I may be wrong) that spray tanning is still much safer than the sun and sun beds.

Oh no that's awful. I hope that she recovers from that. I know from many members of my family how horrible it can be to see someone go through that.
    Yeah, I hope so at least I like my spray tan.

Thank you, so do I.

ReputationRep:

Quite often the "x causes cancer" stories in papers are scaremongering, they're based on poor research but are used to hoik in readers. The DM is notorious for it. I've never heard about a link between spray tans and cancer tbh, not that it's research I'd search for in my job. Either way, a spray tan's got to be safer than baking yourself out in the sun or on a sunbed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Quite often the "x causes cancer" stories in papers are scaremongering, they're based on poor research but are used to hoik in readers. The DM is notorious for it. I've never heard about a link between spray tans and cancer tbh, not that it's research I'd search for in my job. Either way, it's got to be safer than baking yourself out in the sun or on a sunbed.
    Thanks Yeah, like I said I've asked medical people about it and they've never heard of it, and as far as I know there's no increase in cancer for beauticians, dancers, and celebs who all are exposed to spray tans regularly. Just wanted to make sure because I panic about stuff like this

ReputationRep:
    It depends who you ask and what you read. We all know the Daily Mail genuinely relives everything from air to being left-handed causes cancer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Quite often the "x causes cancer" stories in papers are scaremongering, they're based on poor research but are used to hoik in readers. The DM is notorious for it. I've never heard about a link between spray tans and cancer tbh, not that it's research I'd search for in my job. Either way, a spray tan's got to be safer than baking yourself out in the sun or on a sunbed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4abk9fd_lR4

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.