Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long did it take you to find your path and make decisions on your future? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am having so much trouble at the moment thinking too much about what I want to do now and what I want to be in the future. I am 19 and have spent my gap year working and travelling and doing lots of thinking! I have an offer this year to study a degree in geography which I am excited for but still having doubts. Since I've always been interested in vet med and got the required grades I thought I would try gain work experience and apply next year. However I have dropped that dream as of today (my first day of work experience in small animal practice and I fainted watching an operation which was totally not like me but the experience has shown me I don't like the look of the actual job anyway and its def not for me!)

It's so hard sometimes channelling yourself down one path. I feel like life is way too short because I want to do so many things at once!

So, has anybody got any advice or has a nice story to share to reassure me about making decisions.. you and your career path? Your changes and decisions and how happy you are now because of the choices you made? Anything.. Thank you :-)

ReputationRep:
    Well first I didnt know what I wanted to do. At college I chose Economics just because it looked interesting, I literally had no idea what I wanted to do so i just chose subjects that interested me. At the end of my 1st year, I loved Economics and decided to follow that. First I was a bit put off because I didnt have a maths A Level and thought that would entirely ruin my chances, But after doing more research, I was reassured and am still following that career path

About vet med, maybe the reason you fainted is because you saw the operation for the first time, Obviously its not something you see everyday. Why not try to overcome that? Start smal, e.g. small operations and then work your way up. Hope you find a career you enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    I did an Economics degree liked all of it except the maths, waaay over my head, but IT was always my passion since I was about 9. I then spent 10 years in finance mainly programming spreadsheets and fixing systems, I loved it as it was a great mix of IT and Finance, and the math was waaaay easier. Now for the past 5 years I run an IT company and love that. So it's worked out for me.

My brother did a Law degree, followed by the Legal practice course, and worked at a top law firm for about five years but found it boring, just lots of paper pushing and meetings. Then left and started his own wedding photography business now going on 10 years, and loves its, meets great people, awesome locations, way more money (people spend like crazy at weddings). Looking back he has no regrets about doing Law as in the end it all helps you to be a better person.

Life isn't fixed, you can always try things and if it doesn't work out try it from a different perspective or try something totally different.

ReputationRep:
    You have to be proactive and search for things you want to do/achieve! Explore different avenues and your own preferences!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Too bloody long, I tells ya! :unimpressed:

More specifically, I went the whole way through four years of my degree with a picture in mind of 'what I'll do when I graduate'. It's only now that I've graduated and had the time to pick up a little work experience that I've realised that path wasn't right for me. Sure, it was discouraging but, at twenty three, I have to remind myself there's a whole lotta life left to be lived and that there's time to remedy my situation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.