Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you view 'offensive' jokes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Partly because it's an interesting topic on it's own, and partly because of the now deleted Pizza-murder thread:

Can you find a joke funny purely as a joke, even if it's based on something serious (such as death or rape)?

Or do you think jokes like that (despite the fact that nobody related to the incident is ever likely to hear it - for example in the case of Jade Goody or the Tsunami) should be left alone?

You're sitting at the dinner table, all a bit drunk, the jokes are getting sillier - Where does the line get drawn for you?

-Who benefits from the joke not being told?
    -Can the joke itself be funny even if the situation itself isn't? Or, will you simply not entertain it?
    -Does 'not mocking the dead' extend to people like Hitler?
    -Is literally any joke involving the topic of rape (for example- and bearing in mind that telling a joke about it doesn't mean that the person finds rape funny or acceptable) 'below the belt' for you?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Jokes are to do with humour, humour is subjective. Some offensive jokes are funny, regardless of topic.

Personally, I find Miranda Hart offensive. Not because of her jokes, but because she thinks she is a comedienne.

ReputationRep:
    Many jokes are funny due to the play on words, but people hear 'rape', 'child', or some other sensitive topic and just assume you're making fun of it.

I have a very high threshold for offensive jokes, but make a distinction between something witty or with a good punchline, and a statement that is simply hateful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous Coward)
    Partly because it's an interesting topic on it's own, and partly because of the now deleted Pizza-murder thread:

Can you find a joke funny purely as a joke, even if it's based on something serious (such as death or rape)?

Or do you think jokes like that (despite the fact that nobody related to the incident is ever likely to hear it - for example in the case of Jade Goody or the Tsunami) should be left alone?

You're sitting at the dinner table, all a bit drunk, the jokes are getting sillier - Where does the line get drawn for you?

-Who benefits from the joke not being told?
    -Can the joke itself be funny even if the situation itself isn't? Or, will you simply not entertain it?
    -Does 'not mocking the dead' extend to people like Hitler?
    -Is literally any joke involving the topic of rape (for example- and bearing in mind that telling a joke about it doesn't mean that the person finds rape funny or acceptable) 'below the belt' for you?

I found that joke on the 1st page of that thread funny :') I wouldn't be laughing if the victim is someone I know though :/

ReputationRep:
    I find that offensive jokes are usually the funniest

ReputationRep:
    Humour is humour, and 'shock humour' isn't funny. Just being overly offensive isn't a joke, it's you being a ********. Something that is a joke and is actually humorous and makes people laugh is fine, however topical it may be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_green_day)
    Humour is humour, and 'shock humour' isn't funny. Just being overly offensive isn't a joke, it's you being a ********. Something that is a joke and is actually humorous and makes people laugh is fine, however topical it may be.
    So how do you classify an offensive joke?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Funny is funny, and different people find different kinds of humour funny.
    Remember, people choose to be offended by things. They could let it go, but choose to be a **** about a some joke 'offending' them.
    No one cares what offends you, get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    So how do you classify an offensive joke?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Something that if you said it to someone who it related to, they'd frown.
    Like saying a holocaust joke to a jew/polish/gay. But being 'offensive' doesn't make them bad fundamentally. It's just that some people who are less than comedians think being overtly offensive makes them hilarious.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Generally, I will find a good joke funny even if it is offensive or controversial, and in some cases especially so. I can't remember the exact quote, but John Cleese said something along the lines of "offensive jokes are a good thing, because almost every time you tell one you spawn a conversation as a consequence. ". I also feel that people get WAY too serious over things these days, and a light joke meaning no offence will often be found highly offensive (obviously not any old joke, but you should know the sorts of things I'm talking about).

They also aren't exactly a bad thing to make people get over things and lighten the mood. And too often there is the big "too soon" *******s which, considering it is normally relating to the loss of life or some serious crime, is in some respects more offensive since it puts an arbitrary value upon a human life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is a time and place for it.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any offensive jokes?

ReputationRep:
    I generally find offensive jokes funny, but it has to be said at the right time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EasyReppin)
    yeah I have lots
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EasyReppin)
    There are plenty of vids on YouTube that are effectively offensive joke collections, a huge amount of which is Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle. An example is given below.
    [Spoiler]There's safety in numbers? Try telling that to six million Jews. [/quote]

Inb4deletedcommentandwarning

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Its all about timing and severity of the crime in my opinion. Also, how funny the joke actually is (which is rare in 'offensive jokes' hence people being offended). That's why comedians get away with offensive jokes, because they make it funny. Anything to do with children isn't funny, although ive heard a few funny Madeline jokes. Like the Pizza-murder one in the thread, its a bit too soon. Also, it differs if its just a general joke or being facetious whilst discussing the said crime, is never funny. Other than that, humour is subjective anyway so my opinion isn't the same as everyone else's.

Rape isnt funny, fullstop. Neither are rape jokes, ive never in my life heard a funny rape joke in comparison to other crimes. Its usually the 'UniLAD' types that love to tell rape jokes anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I have a pretty high threshold for offensive jokes (or even just being offended in general), which is good as most of my offensive jokes involve either taking the piss of myself and my own race! :lol:

Although I have no problem with rape jokes on an intellectual basis (for the same reason I've no problem with murder jokes), I never actually find them funny. :dontknow:
    Strangely enough, most rape jokes I've ever heard came from women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C'est la vie :P)
    yeah I have lots
    Care to share?

ReputationRep:
    I usually love an offensive joke (if it's actually funny, not just because it's offensive), but as a recent victim of something offensive jokes are often about...for some reason I find myself feeling a bit tetchy about it.

Guess that's what I get for being a ****.

ReputationRep:
    Offensive jokes are the best jokes.

The more offensive the funnier tbh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.