Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm going out with this guy for about 7 months and I just feel he doesn't give me the same effort I give him. I have such strong feelings for him and he claims to do the same for me but...

Like I don't feel he understands the difference between what is expected In a relationship and what counts as making effort.

The overview:
    He keeps cancelling on plans we make, (not all the time) and for stupid reasons for example he hasn't been able to drink for a while. (Long story) anyway he has an appointment to see a doctor and he's known this date for months and he knows it entails him having to go for blood tests etc and that it would make him tired etc. This appointment is early morning and I ask him to follow me to UNI (live in a house) and he picks the day of his appointment so he can basically celebrate him being allowed to drink and smoke. Just to clarify HE picks the day not me. Few days after we make the plans and it's getting closer to the appointment I ask him and he basically says no he can't come because his family will probably not want him out after he's gone through loads of medical tests. I understand this but I don't understand why he doesn't using his initiative and thinking about these things before he makes plans with me. I usually try and keep myself busy during the holidays and I needed to go back to UNI to collect some stuff as I'm working back home in another city. He knows I'm busy for the rest if the week. Then after he tells me he has the nerve to say I feel like I'm letting you down when he has. I know it's very minor but it's not the first time he's cancelled and since we haven't been at UNI we haven't had any intimate time and I was trying to use this as an opportunity. So I'm very disappointed.

Another example of things he does is for example imagine we've just had an argument and we've made up but we're not really yet back to normal and I'm making effort to speak to him but I'm hurt. (At this point we're practically living together at UNI) he suddenly gets up to go and watch the football or goes clubbing (2 separate occasions) after another argument he claims he was giving me space. But I just feel If you've just had an argument with your girlfriend and you've made up etc you don't then leave the house and claim your going to do xyz when you mean you're trying to give someone space. The first time he did it I ended up packing he's things because I was just mad. He did it again and I'm just thinking have you not learnt from your mistakes.
    I feel like I'm always the one complaining in this relationship and he's not seeing this from my point of view. I'm still annoyed at him cancelling on me and I'm not sure if I'm just over reacting or I have every right to be pissed. He seems to accept what he's done wrong but not understand. The funny thing is he isn't really the dominant sort of boyfriend he's quiet but I really don't think I'm explaining myself well

I've missed loads out but you know a girls got feelings and expectations.

*argh*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do you want advice on specifically? :\
    If you're asking whether this is typical behaviour for a guy in a long term relationship then I would say that it is a bit weird but beyond that I'm not really sure what you're asking?
    Have you tried telling him how you feel...?

If he is constantly cancelling your plans to spend time with him at short notice and without planning something else then yes, I think you have a legitimate reason to be pissed at him. It's pretty hard to judge without hearing his perspective though.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao, learn to go for guys with more substance. Your standards are: handsome, muscular, big penis, aggressive, and you get surprised at the fact you can't hold the guy down and have a proper relationship. Laughable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ye you're over reacting lmfao. Especially in the second half.

(Original post by Abstraction)
    Lmao, learn to go for guys with more substance. Your standards are: handsome, muscular, big penis, aggressive, and you get surprised at the fact you can't hold the guy down and have a proper relationship. Laughable.

Guess she should be dating you then. lel.

ReputationRep:
    I know a guy like this. Absolutely retarded in the comments sense department, I swear.

It doesn't mean that he doesn't care, quite the opposite actually. He cares alot, but seriously fails to show it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.