Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in Year 9 and will be starting my GCSE next year.
    I am going to do the following GCSE:
    Arabic Language
    French Language
    Triple Science
    Math
    English
    History
    Economics
    ICT
    Computer Science

I am just wonder what I need to know to do well in these, especially Computer Science and Economics.
    I want to take Computer Science as a Degree in university.
    I am the best at Computing in my class and possibly year but we don't do much economics in school so I don't know much about that.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    For Computer Science, make sure you get both a good grade in the GCSE but also you should be getting an A or above in Maths, since most unis want A Level Maths for computing. (I never did the course myself, though.)

For AQA Economics there are two exams, inexplicably called Unit 11 and 12. Unit 11 is the easier one, and if I'm honest it's mainly common sense. There are large overlaps with Business GCSE if you do that. The topics are Money, Work and Trade.

The second exam is a bit harder and much more theoretical. The first section is always on 'Managing the Economy', which IMHO is the most interesting part of the course. The other two sections change every year - for me, it was global warming and poverty. For this, you will probably have to do your own research, but it isn't too bad if you learn it thoroughly.

The spec, and past papers, are on the AQA website so I would suggest looking at that. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    For Computer Science, make sure you get both a good grade in the GCSE but also you should be getting an A or above in Maths, since most unis want A Level Maths for computing. (I never did the course myself, though.)

For AQA Economics there are two exams, inexplicably called Unit 11 and 12. Unit 11 is the easier one, and if I'm honest it's mainly common sense. There are large overlaps with Business GCSE if you do that. The topics are Money, Work and Trade.

The second exam is a bit harder and much more theoretical. The first section is always on 'Managing the Economy', which IMHO is the most interesting part of the course. The other two sections change every year - for me, it was global warming and poverty. For this, you will probably have to do your own research, but it isn't too bad if you learn it thoroughly.

The spec, and past papers, are on the AQA website so I would suggest looking at that. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you very much for this information! However what specific things in Computer Science should I know perfectly? Python, Java, HTML are things I don't believe my school has taught very well, however I want to be repaired and ahead of everyone when I get to it. So what are the specific things in Computer Science should I know perfectly?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.