Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! So I've recently applied to a MA in Anthropology at UCL, University of Kent, and Goldsmiths. I thought only University of Kent was going to accept me but also Goldsmiths and UCL accepted me. So now I am at a crossroad. I am so undecided. I literally do not know anything about these universities [apart from the programs/department I applied to] and since I am not from UK on the web there are so many opposing views on each of them that make me more confused. Could someone give me some more information about these three universities in general? What uni would give me more possibilities to be accepted into a PhD program in Anthropology after my MA?
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    All are 'good' Unis so all will be fine for a PhD - none will give you an advantage over the others, especially since at postgrad level its *you* and your research that matters not the brand name of the Uni you did you Masters at.

Look at the promotional videos for each of these Unis on You Tube. Read their entries on Wikipedia. Think about what sort of Uni you want to go to - inner city London, rural campus Uni? Which is cheaper? Which will give you a better student experience (campus Unis usually win on this). And read the course descriptions carefully - which optional units would you choose, and why? Which Dept has the staff who are interested in the same areas as you?

ReputationRep:
    In terms of institutional prestige, UCL is obviously the best from those, its one of the top 5 universities in the UK while neither of the others would even be top 10 (although they are both perfectly good)

In terms of the department itself, I know nothing about anthropology, but the last RAE results put UCL above the other two: http://www.theguardian.com/education...8-anthropology

Also an MA is not about "you and your research" - we are talking about a masters, not a PhD. Getting a job with an anthropology degree will be difficult enough anyway, so any little CV boost probably helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.