Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling lonely, frustrated and depressed. Facebook? Watch

I don't have facebook because when I did have it six months ago, I used to spend so much time on it, and getting anxious over how many likes my picture/status got, getting involved in drama ect., so I deactivated my account. But now it is the summer holidays and I feel like I have nothing to do. I have 3 close friends- one is in another country, one doesn't even have a phone- she's not very social and unlike me, she has no problem being by herself, and one I got into a fight with recently. But because I don't have facebook, I feel like I'm never knowing what's going on, I don't really have anyone to talk to, and I'm just so depressed. It was fine when I didn't have facebook during school time- because my friends and I would be seeing and talking to each other everyday. But I just don't know what to do now that it's summer and I don't have anyone to talk to/meet up with. I have tried reading books, watching TV, playing the piano etc but they all make me feel even more lonely. I have contemplated about whether getting facebook back but one of the main reasons I got rid of it was because I know in August, when we get out gcse results, everybody's going to post about their grades and ask me what I got etc and I'm really worried that I got rubbish grades and that they're going to make fun of me etc.

None of my close friends or just normal friends are replying to my texts and it feels like none of them can be bothered to talk to me.

Do you have any suggestions of what to do in the summer to perhaps make friends (or even a boyfriend) or stop feeling so lonely and depressed?

I have tried going to the library to make friends there because during exam time, the library was packed full of teenagers revising. But now, since exams are over, no-one is there...

Thanks

I feel for you OP.
    It's not easy feeling the way you do and it's not fair.
    I have friends but I rarely talk/ get into contact with the, and now it's summer I see them less because exams are over. So we're in a similar boat.

So you want to do something this summer? I've tried going to the public library and reading, that's okay.
    I've tried learning to knit etc, and i was on tinder (dating app) for a while and that was somewhat successful- so you can meet guys that way if you want, although I'd be very careful as they may be a bit...weird.

Anyway, you could also volunteer!! Literally, I made a few friends volunteering, that was okayy. Or get work experience/ go to work with mum or dad (if its possible/ they're the boss)

I'm not going to say that you're going to stop feeling depressed, but those surely are some distractions.

Also, I would suggest watching all of Prison Break. Takes up loads of time!

Don't tell people your results, and you don't have to return to facebook if it'll make you feel bad.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel for you OP.
    It's not easy feeling the way you do and it's not fair.
    I have friends but I rarely talk/ get into contact with the, and now it's summer I see them less because exams are over. So we're in a similar boat.

So you want to do something this summer? I've tried going to the public library and reading, that's okay.
    I've tried learning to knit etc, and i was on tinder (dating app) for a while and that was somewhat successful- so you can meet guys that way if you want, although I'd be very careful as they may be a bit...weird.

Anyway, you could also volunteer!! Literally, I made a few friends volunteering, that was okayy. Or get work experience/ go to work with mum or dad (if its possible/ they're the boss)

I'm not going to say that you're going to stop feeling depressed, but those surely are some distractions.

Also, I would suggest watching all of Prison Break. Takes up loads of time!

Don't tell people your results, and you don't have to return to facebook if it'll make you feel bad.
    Hi thanks for the reply! I'm glad someone is willing to listen to my rant xD

Yeah I had tinder for about a week a month or ago but I ended up deleting it because yeah... the people on their are slightly disturbing...

I'm actually doing a lot of work experience, but there are no other work experience students there for me to make friends with...

Also what kind of volunteering do you do? I volunteer weekly/fortnightly at a hospice but yet again, no other volunteers there...

Anyway thanks for all your suggestions! It made me smile that you tried to help

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel. All my friends went to uni this year and I took a year out, and so they've all made new friends and stopped talking to me, ignoring my texts etc. The only person I talk to at all lives in another country, so I'm getting pretty lonely and isolated, just sat in my room everyday, not doing much. Even now that they're home for the summer they've lost contact with me anyway and don't seem to want to make the effort to see/talk to me.

I'm pretty lost too, as I've tried countless times to make friends either on here, or where I live, or at least talk to old friends, but nobody seems to have the time of day to stay in contact with me..

I volunteer too, but the other volunteers aren't my age, so it's difficult making friends there. This is less of a help post and more of a sympathy post..I know exactly how you feel and it really sucks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.